Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rod Fitzsimmons Frey <rf...@psychometrics.com> on 2005/04/27 21:09:25 UTC

Clustering troubles.

I'm setting up a 2-node Tomcat cluster with jk_mod doing the
loadbalancing.  The loadbalancing went without a hitch, or at least
without hitches that maillist archives couldn't untie.  But now I'd like
to have in-memory session replication between the two tomcat nodes.  I
uncommented the cluster element in the server.xml file on each node, but
clustering didn't "magically" happen as I hoped it would: no replication
takes place.

I'm using a page in the jsp-examples webapp that sets a simple attribute
on the session --  session.setAttribute("hello", "howdy");

When starting up Tomcat on each node, I get these log entries:

Apr 27, 2005 12:30:28 PM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager start
INFO: Starting clustering manager at /jsp-examples
Apr 27, 2005 12:30:28 PM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager start
INFO: Manager [/jsp-examples]: skipping state transfer. No members
active in cluster group.

I get this on both nodes, even if I start one node, create a session,
then start node 2.

Multicast is enabled: at least, when I ping 224.0.0.1, I get responses
from all my interfaces.  Do I need to do something to join 228.0.0.4, or
is that a programmatic thing?

I've pasted my workers.properties below (minus comments), and the
cluster element from my server.xml.  I've tried adding a "name"
attribute to the cluster element and to each of its child elements in
turn, without effect.

TIA!
Rod

# workers.properties -
workers.java_home=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_02
ps=/

#
#------ ADVANCED MODE ------------------------------------------------
#---------------------------------------------------------------------
#
worker.list=realserver1, realserver2, realserver3, realserver4,
loadbalancer, jkstatus

worker.realserver1.port=8009
worker.realserver1.host=localhost
worker.realserver1.type=ajp13
worker.realserver1.lbfactor=100

worker.realserver2.port=8010
worker.realserver2.host=localhost
worker.realserver2.type=ajp13
worker.realserver2.lbfactor=100

worker.realserver3.port=8009
worker.realserver3.host=marmot
worker.realserver3.type=ajp13
worker.realserver3.lbfactor=100

worker.realserver4.port=8010
worker.realserver4.host=marmot
worker.realserver4.type=ajp13
worker.realserver4.lbfactor=100

worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=realserver1, realserver2,
realserver3, realserver4

worker.jkstatus.type=status
# end workers.properties

<!-- server.xml <cluster> element -->
<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
       managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
       expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true"
                 notifyListenersOnReplication="true">

  <Membership
      className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
      mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
      mcastPort="45564"
      mcastFrequency="500"
      mcastDropTime="3000"/>

  <Receiver
      className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
      tcpListenAddress="auto"
      tcpListenPort="4001"
      tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
      tcpThreadCount="6"/>

  <Sender
      className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
      replicationMode="pooled"
      ackTimeout="15000"/>

  <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.png;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.css;.*\.txt;"/>

  <Deployer className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
      tempDir="/tmp/war-temp/"
       deployDir="/tmp/war-deploy/"
       watchDir="/tmp/war-listen/"
       watchEnabled="false"/>
</Cluster>

Re: Clustering troubles.

Posted by Rod Fitzsimmons Frey <rf...@psychometrics.com>.
Forgot to mention:   Java runtime is jre1.5.0_02