Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Keith Bainbridge <ke...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/27 09:19:38 UTC

draw elongated diamond

G'day all

I'm trying to draw a diamond shape with 2 opposing angles equal, one
angle 72 degrees and its opposite 60 degrees.

I figured I should be able to stretch a standard supplied shape, but
can't figure how to hold the plane of the equal angles so that the
distances from the points will vary.

Then how to know that I have 72 degrees.

Any pointers please?

The aim of the exercise is to make a star from fence palings.

Thanks
--
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbaugroups@gmail.com

+61 (0)447 667 468

Re: draw elongated diamond

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 19:19 27/02/2016 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>I'm trying to draw a diamond shape with 2 opposing angles equal, one
>angle 72 degrees and its opposite 60 degrees.

By "diamond", I'm assuming that you mean a rhombus (or lozenge) - an
equilateral quadrilateral?

You say that opposing angles are equal and then give differing values
for opposite angles. So you clearly mean something different by
"opposing" and "opposite". Colour me confused.

The internal angles of any quadrilateral must add up to 360 degrees.
You appear to have two lots of 72 degrees and two of 60 degrees -
leaving you 96 degrees short. Color me more confused.

>I figured I should be able to stretch a standard supplied shape, but
>can't figure how to hold the plane of the equal angles so that the
>distances from the points will vary.

The plane of the angles is the plane of the whole shape. How could
anything leave this plane - unless you have a special pen which will
somehow write in the air above your sheet of paper, or a computer
which can write in the air in front of the display?

>Any pointers please?

Perhaps define your problem more clearly?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: draw elongated diamond

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:56 03/03/2016 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote (privately):
>On 28 February 2016 at 16:48, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 19:19 27/02/2016 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>>>I'm trying to draw a diamond shape with 2 opposing angles equal,
>>>one angle 72 degrees and its opposite 60 degrees. I figured I
>>>should be able to stretch a standard supplied shape, but can't
>>>figure how to hold the plane of the equal angles so that the
>>>distances from the points will vary. Then how to know that I have
>>>72 degrees. Any pointers please?
>>
>>The internal angles of any quadrilateral must add up to 360
>>degrees. You appear to have two lots of 72 degrees and two of 60
>>degrees - leaving you 96 degrees short. Color me more confused.
>
>Sorry for the confusion.
>The internal angles as I walk around the rhombus will be 72, 114,
>60, 114 degrees.

That won't be a rhombus, then - which needs to be equilateral - but a kite.

Here's an idea:

The shape you want is two isosceles triangles joined at their bases.
The 72-degree end has other internal angles of 54 degrees. The
60-degree end is an equilateral triangle (which is a special case of
isosceles, of course).

o Click the drop-down (-up?) menu next to the Basic Shapes icon in
the Drawing toolbar and then Isosceles Triangle.
o Drag to create a triangle.
o Using Position and Size..., set the width to some suitable value, say 100 mm.
o Applying the sine rule to the 72-degree triangle, its height needs
to be 50 x sin(54 deg.) / sin (36 deg.) so set the height to 68.82 mm.
o Repeat the process to create a second isosceles triangle.
o Using Position and Size..., set rotation angle to 180 degrees, so
as to invert it.
o Using Position and Size..., set the width to the same 100 mm as before.
o Applying Pythagoras's Theorem to this equilateral triangle, its
height needs to be 50 x sqrt(3) mm, so set the height to 86.60 mm.
o Now move the two triangles together. You can move them using the
arrow keys and Alt+arrow for finer control, Probably more sensibly,
you can set the Y-positions of both shapes to be the same, whilst
choosing different base points (one top, the other bottom) for the two.
o Click one shape and Alt+click the other, so that the combination is selected.
o Go to right-click | Group to combine the two shapes into one.
o Use right-click | Line... to set the line style to none, to remove
the tell-tale common boundary.

You can easily move, rescale, and rotate the shape as required, of course.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: draw elongated diamond

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 12:58 29/02/2016 +1300, David Rivers wrote:
>Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 19:19 27/02/2016 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>>>I'm trying to draw a diamond shape with 2 opposing angles equal,
>>>one angle 72 degrees and its opposite 60 degrees.
>>
>>By "diamond", I'm assuming that you mean a rhombus (or lozenge) -
>>an equilateral quadrilateral?
>
>Perhaps the diamond shape is actually a kite shape which would allow
>adjacent angles to differ?

A kite? Certainly. But it was "opposing" angles that were equal and
"opposite" ones that differed: nothing about adjacent ones - which
can indeed differ. If it's a kite, which angles are 72 degrees and 60
degrees, please? And which angle - there must be at least one - is
something else?

Brian Barker

Re: draw elongated diamond

Posted by David Rivers <dr...@ihug.co.nz>.