Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by dbeavon <db...@ufpi.com> on 2018/07/20 16:36:47 UTC

Basic question on AMQP 1.0 protocol support

The AMQP 1.0 protocol is a "vendor-neutral and platform-agnostic protocol".
Does this mean that the broker works equally well with any client that
complies with the standard spec?

The reason I ask is because I have access to the amqpnetlite client version
1.1.8 from the redhat downloads, and a different version (2.1.2) on the
upstream nuget repository (https://www.nuget.org/packages/AMQPNetLite/) .
As far as I can gather, the ActiveMQ 5 broker shouldn't care which of these
I use if I "speak AMQP" the same way at the protocol level.

The reason I ask is because the newer client API is easier to use, and and
has more interfaces and methods available to a developer in the later
versions.

I realize that if I ran into a problem then redhat would probably require me
to create a reproducible using their (1.1.8) version of the client.  But I'm
trying to clarify my understanding that AMQP 1.0 is an interface standard
that is somewhat independent of the client implementations, and that brokers
and clients have to support the standard (whereas the specific version of
any given client library is not as important as supporting the standard).
IE. I should be fine using another version of the client library although I
accept risks if I pick one that doesn't properly implement the standard spec
for AMQP 1.0.

Please let me know if I have this wrong.  I realize that this is not a
redhat forum and I won't get an official redhat recommendation from here.

Re: Basic question on AMQP 1.0 protocol support

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
I think most of your questions were already answered on your other email
which was very similar to this one, but I'll here as well for clarity's
sake...

> Does this mean that the broker works equally well with any client that
complies with the standard spec?

In general, yes.

> ...the ActiveMQ 5 broker shouldn't care which of these I use if I "speak
AMQP" the same way at the protocol level.

From a protocol perspective that's correct.

> I'm trying to clarify my understanding that AMQP 1.0 is an interface
standard that is somewhat independent of the client implementations...

That's correct.  AMQP 1.0 is a standard that exists independent of any
implementation.

> ...brokers and clients have to support the standard (whereas the specific
version of any given client library is not as important as supporting the
standard).

In general, yes.

> I should be fine using another version of the client library although I
accept risks if I pick one that doesn't properly implement the standard
spec for AMQP 1.0.

You should be fine.

I understand that you're interested specifically in AMQP 1.0 here, but that
detail could be removed and this discussion could easily just be about
standards in general.  You could just as easily be talking about TCP, HTTP,
SMTP, FTP, etc.  These are all standard protocols for networked devices
(i.e. like AMQP).  The reason standards exist is so that lots of different
implementations can work together.

Justin