Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Adam Winter <be...@hotmail.com> on 2000/06/14 10:07:15 UTC

os-windows/6191: When the Apache 'Run' prompt is closed, and the Stop Apache Prompt is ran, the port still remains open with or without the software running. It required a cold-boot or restart to get it to work properly.

>Number:         6191
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       When the Apache 'Run' prompt is closed, and the Stop Apache Prompt is ran, the port still remains open with or without the software running.  It required a cold-boot or restart to get it to work properly.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jun 14 01:10:01 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     beatagimp@hotmail.com
>Release:        1.3
After running the Start Apache program, and the server is up an running, then you either close the window and execute the Stop Apache program, or just run the Stop Apache program, the port remains open and the server still up and running.  This was tested from three computers including the server itself and two other remote locations.
The software was closed and 100% made sure that it wasn't open anywhere.  The IP Address was given to test and see if the port was open.  Given that the tester had not previously been to the destination prior to the closing of the software.  According to the tester, the server was still up, but no logs were made to the Access.log file, or anything else.  This may or may not be a security problem.  Hopefully it can be resolved.
>How-To-Repeat:
You could open up the Apache.exe file, and close the Run window.  Then test this out with other computers connected to the internet or by ethernet.
>Fix:
When the Stop Apache program is ran, or shall I say command, make it so it closes the server port(s), so the computer doesn't have to be rebooted or disconnected from the internet for these ports to close.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]