Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2010/07/11 02:39:25 UTC

JAXRS, implementation.web, and ATOM?

I'm looking at the sample code in samples/webapps/helloworld-jaxrs [1]
and have the following questions:

Is <implementation.web> required to use JAXRS?

How is HelloWorldResource.java found in that example? I couldn't find a
reference to it in the composite...

Can I use JAXRS with <implementation.java>?

Can a JAXRS-enabled component produce ATOM? with XML or JSON entries?

Is there support for JAXRS on references as well?

Thanks

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/samples/webapps/helloworld-jaxrs/
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: JAXRS, implementation.web, and ATOM?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
<js...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm looking at the sample code in samples/webapps/helloworld-jaxrs [1] and
> have the following questions:
>
> Is <implementation.web> required to use JAXRS?

No

> How is HelloWorldResource.java found in that example? I couldn't find a
> reference to it in the composite...

Magic :)

> Can I use JAXRS with <implementation.java>?

Yes

> Can a JAXRS-enabled component produce ATOM? with XML or JSON entries?

Today, Somewhat, Yes, and Yes. See more details on the bottom of this e-mail

> Is there support for JAXRS on references as well?

Yes, using implementation.JAXRS

> Thanks
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/samples/webapps/helloworld-jaxrs/
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

The REST Binding has full support for JAX-RS using Apache Wink under
the covers. If you want to produce Atom, currently you would use Wink
native support for ATOM, which requires that the application developer
create the feed using wink model objects that abstract ATOM entries
instead of the more automatic way we do in our ATOM Binding. As for
XML and JSON, you can configure the service with proper wireFormat to
produce these types of payload. There is a good documentation for the
REST binding in [1] and also several examples as unit tests in the
binding-rest-runtime [2] and photark is using this for it's new REST
api. If you have a specific scenario in mind, I could create a quick
sample to demonstrate it's usage.

[1] http://tuscany.apache.org/documentation-2x/sca-java-bindingrest.html
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/modules/binding-rest-runtime/src/test/
[3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/photark/branches/photark-rest/