Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2011/10/19 16:27:40 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

This is the release vote for Apache CouchDB 1.1.1

Changes in this release:

* Support SpiderMonkey 1.8.5
* Add configurable maximum to the number of bytes returned by _log.
* Allow CommonJS modules to be an empty string.
* Bump minimum Erlang version to R13B02.
* Do not run deleted validate_doc_update functions.
* ETags for views include current sequence if include_docs=true.
* Fix bug where duplicates can appear in _changes feed.
* Fix bug where update handlers break after conflict resolution.
* Fix bug with _replicator where include "filter" could crash couch.
* Fix crashes when compacting large views.
* Fix file descriptor leak in _log
* Fix missing revisions in _changes?style=all_docs.
* Improve handling of compaction at max_dbs_open limit.
* JSONP responses now send "text/javascript" for Content-Type.
* Link to ICU 4.2 on Windows.
* Permit forward slashes in path to update functions.
* Reap couchjs processes that hit reduce_overflow error.
* Status code can be specified in update handlers.
* Support provides() in show functions.
* _view_cleanup when ddoc has no views now removes all index files.
* max_replication_retry_count now supports "infinity".
* Fix replication crash when source database has a document with empty ID.
* Fix deadlock when assigning couchjs processes to serve requests.
* Fixes to the document multipart PUT API.

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
results and vote to this thread.

We are voting on the following release artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/

Instructions for validating the release tarball can be found here:

 http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/

Instructions for testing the build artefacts can be found here:

 http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.1 tag in Git:

apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz
apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.md5
apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.sha

Since you have read this far, you MUST vote.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Andrey Syrokomskiy <si...@gmail.com>.
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64

Signatures - OK
make check - OK
make install - OK
Browsers - some FAILURES, see below

Cache and cookies is cleared, test dbs is removed before start tests (first
run). Running all.

**Firefox 7.0.1**
  First run - all OK
  Second run - 4 FAILURES
    attachments - Assertion failed: xhr.responseText == lorem; Exception raised: {}
    auth_cache - Assertion failed: misses_after === misses_before + 1; Assertion
failed: hits_after === hits_before
    list_views - Assertion 'xhr.status == 200, "standard get should be 200"'
failed: standard get should be 200; Assertion failed:
/head0123456789tail/.test(xhr.responseText)
    rev_stemming - Assertion failed: db.open("bar", {revs:
true})._revisions.ids.length == newLimit + 1; Assertion failed: db.open("bar",
{revs: true})._revisions.ids.length == newLimit + 1

**Opera 11.51**
  First run - 37 failures, see links below
    http://i080.radikal.ru/1110/ab/a35a598a8922.png
    http://s001.radikal.ru/i193/1110/cb/57e1ef6dd74a.png
  Second run - 39 failures, added
    auth_cache - Assertion failed: misses_after === (misses_before + 1)
Assertion failed: hits_after === hits_before
    replication - Exception raised: {"message":"JSON.parse: Unable to parse
value: "}

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
You will excuse this duplication of topic forking. :)

It was sent before the issue was taken to a new thread, but held up in
moderation.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Oct 19, 2011, at 21:25 , Sam Bisbee wrote:

> Yeah, it looks like it's just an unstable test. Which makes me wonder
> why we even have it or include it in the release process.

It is only unstable in certain environments and we are constantly improving all tests to be more stable in all environments, but the browser world is harsh :)

I'd still consider having the test better than not having it at all :)

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50jVa25gmWs

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Did I say 4? I meant 7.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Following the test procedure, I get as far as this command:

svn export http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0/tmp/couchdb/tag/1.1.0

Obviously, we can't instruct people to do this any more, because we use Git.

What should we replace this step with?

We need a quick and painless way to check out the tag into a temporary
directory.

Ideally, whatever we recomend shouldn't rely on the user already having a
clone of the main repository.

Current suggestions from Paul:

git archive v1.2.9 | tar -C /tmp/new/path -xv

Problem: It requires you to do this from an existing clone, which will be a
pain to set up if you don't have one. And if you do have one, you will need
to make sure it is up to date. Lots of potential for problems, errors,
or hassle.

wget
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=snapshot;h=e37148e14bdaf88a0a568edbade6cf9101afb4af;sf=tgz
Problem: Requires you to substitute the commit hash of the tag, which will
be awkward and error prone.

Any other ideas?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks Robert!

+1

Tested on Mac OS X 10.7.2. Signatures pass, make check passes, test suites in make dist and make install pass in Safari 5.1.1, Firefox 7.0.1 and Chrome 14.0.835.202.

Great job everybody! :)

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fi...@couchbase.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Filipe David Manana
> <fd...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> make check pass, but when running js tests I got the following error
>>> (reproducible from time to time) :
>>>
>>> [info] [<0.1915.0>] Stopping all ongoing replications because the
>>> replicator database was deleted or changed
>>> Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 (LogLevel=info) is starting.
>>> Segmentation fault: 11
>>>
>>> configuration : rb1404, osx lion (last update)
>>
>> That's likely the OpenSSL issue on Lion. If init:restart/0 is invoked
>> and the crypto application was loaded (CouchDB's case) the VM crashes
>> with either a bus error, segmentation fault or no error message at
>> all.
>>
>> Have you tried building OTP like in https://gist.github.com/1199903 ?
>>
>> I had exactly the same issue.
>>

>>> - benoit
>>>

> Shouldn't it be fixed in r144b04? \

Nop, not fixed in r14b04 unfortunately.
And it's independent of the couch codebase, since all start the crypto
application.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Filipe David Manana
>> <fd...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> That's likely the OpenSSL issue on Lion. If init:restart/0 is invoked
>>> and the crypto application was loaded (CouchDB's case) the VM crashes
>>> with either a bus error, segmentation fault or no error message at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Have you tried building OTP like in https://gist.github.com/1199903 ?
>>>
>>> I had exactly the same issue.

>> Shouldn't it be fixed in r144b04? ALso I don't reproduce it at all on
>> refuge when running tests, s it may be due to the way we compile
>> couch.
>>
>> - benoit
>>

> just after typed that I realised that refuge is also based on current trunk...
>
> - benoit

which means there's maybe a problem on 1.1.1 . Did anyone tried withe same conf?

- benoît

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> Too late.
>
> I'm inclined to work with Paul Davis and make 1.1.1 the last time that
> there *is* a Futon test suite.

:D

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
Hehe, given the fact that the voting round has been aborted, I thought
it would be clear that it relates to your most recent reply ;)

Sorry, I've missed that the respective thread for that topic (i.e.,
"futon tests") had grown meanwhile. I should have better replied on that
one.

- K

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
What is that -1 related to?

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
-1

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Too late.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Interesting, this patch seems like a worthwhile thing to do regardless of the tests, if I understand it correctly. If restart cause the response to not be sent, then sending a 202 first will help at least the caller to know the restart was initiated.

Posted by "J. Lee Coltrane" <le...@projectmastermind.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for all the responses so far. Unfortunately I am aborting this round.
>
> It turns out there is a serious bug in this 1.1.1 candidate when using
> SpiderMonkey 1.7.0. Instead of sealing the 'doc' parameter to views,
> we seal the object that defines the seal function, which then causes
> all kinds of 'X is read-only' events.
>
> It's a one word fix, so a new 1.1.1 candidate will be out very soon,
> and it should not invalidate any of these results.
>
> B.

:(

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Filipe David Manana
<fd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Filipe David Manana
>> <fd...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Nop, not fixed in r14b04 unfortunately.
>>> And it's independent of the couch codebase, since all start the crypto
>>> application.

>>> --
>>> Filipe David Manana,
>>>
>>> "Reasonable men adapt themselves to the world.
>>>  Unreasonable men adapt the world to themselves.
>>>  That's why all progress depends on unreasonable men."
>>>

>> Like I said i've no problem on refuge though. Yes all apps starts
>> crypt but here:
>>

>> 2> crypto:start().
>> ok
>> 3> init:restart().
>> ok
>> 4> Erlang R14B04 (erts-5.8.5) [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [rq:4]
>> [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>>
>> Eshell V5.8.5  (abort with ^G)
>> 1>
>>

>> works. So it maybe  not related to crypto or openssl.
>
> The openssl issue didn't happen always, only sometimes.
> Try running the following bash loop against trunk/refuge:
>
> $ for i in `seq 1 1000`; do curl -s -H 'Content-Type:
> application/json' -X POST http://localhost:5984/_restart ; sleep 1;
> done
>
> Se then if you get a bus error, seg fault or the vm simply doesn't
> restart and no error gets sent to the console.
>

>> - benoit

I will trust you on that one, I can't test right now, I'm at ogdcamp
and no more battery on my lappy. Old erlang was given me an error each
time, not sure what changed since. If this is the case I think we
should provide a warning during compilation anyway. Like for couchjs &
spidermonkey, I think  it's our responsibility to warn the user that
something can happen on this platform, isn't it ?

- benoît

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
+0

make distcheck runs fine, all etaps pass

Futon tests fail in FF -- server admin gets out of whack at replicator and all tests thereafter to the end fail
Chrome -- same problem, this time the fails start at cookie_auth -- but it appears to be the same issue

all the usual remedies, clearing the cache, wiping the filesystem and starting over, all fail.

I'm sure it's the usual browser problems, I do notice though that it's been a while since I've seen them all pass

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 16:27, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
> is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
> results and vote to this thread.

Testing in the Gentoo Linux packaging system yields the following test failures:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/couchdb-1.1.1/work/apache-couchdb-1.1.1/test/etap/170-os-daemons.t
                (Wstat: 0 Tests: 37 Failed: 0)
  Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 49 tests but ran 37.
/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/couchdb-1.1.1/work/apache-couchdb-1.1.1/test/etap/173-os-daemon-cfg-register.t
    (Wstat: 0 Tests: 27 Failed: 5)
  Failed tests:  4, 6, 23, 26-27
Files=44, Tests=773, 188 wallclock secs ( 0.45 usr  0.15 sys + 39.30
cusr  7.16 csys = 47.06 CPU)
Result: FAIL

This is with Erlang 13B04. On the other hand, the browser test suite
(Firefox 9.0a2, OS X) is all clean, which is more than I can say for
most releases I've tried!

Thanks for the release work, let me know if I can debug those test
failures somehow).

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:27, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is the release vote for Apache CouchDB 1.1.1
>
> Changes in this release:
>
> * Support SpiderMonkey 1.8.5
> * Add configurable maximum to the number of bytes returned by _log.
> * Allow CommonJS modules to be an empty string.
> * Bump minimum Erlang version to R13B02.
> * Do not run deleted validate_doc_update functions.
> * ETags for views include current sequence if include_docs=true.
> * Fix bug where duplicates can appear in _changes feed.
> * Fix bug where update handlers break after conflict resolution.
> * Fix bug with _replicator where include "filter" could crash couch.
> * Fix crashes when compacting large views.
> * Fix file descriptor leak in _log
> * Fix missing revisions in _changes?style=all_docs.
> * Improve handling of compaction at max_dbs_open limit.
> * JSONP responses now send "text/javascript" for Content-Type.
> * Link to ICU 4.2 on Windows.
> * Permit forward slashes in path to update functions.
> * Reap couchjs processes that hit reduce_overflow error.
> * Status code can be specified in update handlers.
> * Support provides() in show functions.
> * _view_cleanup when ddoc has no views now removes all index files.
> * max_replication_retry_count now supports "infinity".
> * Fix replication crash when source database has a document with empty ID.
> * Fix deadlock when assigning couchjs processes to serve requests.
> * Fixes to the document multipart PUT API.

> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
> is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
> results and vote to this thread.

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/
>
> Instructions for validating the release tarball can be found here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/
>
> Instructions for testing the build artefacts can be found here:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.1 tag in Git:
>
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.md5
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.sha
>
> Since you have read this far, you MUST vote.

Tested on Ubuntu 11.10, GNU/Linux 3.0.0, Erlang R14B03, Firefox 8.0,
SpiderMonkey 1.8.5

Signature OK
MD5 OK
SHA1 OK
`make check` OK
Futon tests OK

+1

Thanks! Great point release!

-Randall

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
OS X 10.7.2, Erlang R14B03

* signatures: OK
* make check: OK
* browser tests: OK (using Chrome 16.0.912.0)

+1, good work!

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
If anyone is currently using SpiderMonkey 1.7.0 I would be very
interested if you could try a (non-builtin) filtered replication after
first performing a view build (for the same database).

B.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefan,

Sadly, I don't expect the test to pass every single time (for various
reasons). If each of the tests passes, that's what I need to hear. We
will improve the stability of the test suite over time.

B.

Posted by Stefan Kögl <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,