Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mark Barnes <ma...@coat.com> on 2006/09/18 19:42:43 UTC

[DBCP] Why Not Supported? BasicDataSource.getConnection(String username, String password)

Why?

I know that method org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(String username, String password) winds up throwing an UnsuppoterdOperationException via its delegate, org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.

My question is, why?

I've googled and googled for an answer, but have not been able to find one.

Does anyone know?

Why would there be a non-Java-standard API in order to implement an Application-managed DataSource?

Why make it possible for someone else's code to obtain the database username and password using methods getUsername() and getPassword()?

Why store the username and password as plain text anywhere?

On my current project, placing the database username and password in a file on disk is not allowed, due to security concerns, so using a Container-managed DataSource is not possible.

My thanks to anyone who can provide information and insight

---Mark