Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by David Ingham <Da...@microsoft.com> on 2009/11/09 17:10:31 UTC

ApacheCon

A quick update on ApacheCon...

First was BarCamp. If you haven't heard of BarCamp, it works like this - the organizers provide some basic infrastructure (rooms, projectors, etc.) but there is no program defined in advance. The attendees turn up prepared to speak on some topic and then spend the first 30 minutes of the day devising the schedule for the day. I gave a session on the challenges of enterprise messaging in a heterogeneous environment, covering AMQP and Apache Qpid. It was a good session with lots of discussion.
The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.03-ApacheCon-AMQP%26Qpid.pdf

Jonathan Robie stepped up and organized a Qpid meetup at very short notice. Unfortunately there wasn't a big attendance due to the lack of advance notice. Jonathan and I reconvened to the bar ;-)

On the Friday I presented again in a joint session with Kent Brown of Microsoft and Prabath Siriwardena of WSO2. The title was "Interoperability Through Community" and covered Apache Stonehenge and Apache Qpid. Stonehenge is an Incubator project focused on Web services interoperability. They've built a real-world application, StockTrader, that demonstrates through code how to achieve Web services interoperability between different Web services stacks. Today this includes Microsoft, Spring Source, Sun and WSO2. I gave a pitch on AMQP and Apache Qpid as solutions for building heterogeneous message-oriented middleware applications.
The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.04-ApacheCon-Stonehenge%26Qpid.pdf

Thanks,

Dave.

Re: ApacheCon

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 11/09/2009 04:10 PM, David Ingham wrote:
> A quick update on ApacheCon...
>
> First was BarCamp. If you haven't heard of BarCamp, it works like this - the organizers provide some basic infrastructure (rooms, projectors, etc.) but there is no program defined in advance. The attendees turn up prepared to speak on some topic and then spend the first 30 minutes of the day devising the schedule for the day. I gave a session on the challenges of enterprise messaging in a heterogeneous environment, covering AMQP and Apache Qpid. It was a good session with lots of discussion.
> The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.03-ApacheCon-AMQP%26Qpid.pdf
>
> Jonathan Robie stepped up and organized a Qpid meetup at very short notice. Unfortunately there wasn't a big attendance due to the lack of advance notice. Jonathan and I reconvened to the bar ;-)
>
> On the Friday I presented again in a joint session with Kent Brown of Microsoft and Prabath Siriwardena of WSO2. The title was "Interoperability Through Community" and covered Apache Stonehenge and Apache Qpid. Stonehenge is an Incubator project focused on Web services interoperability. They've built a real-world application, StockTrader, that demonstrates through code how to achieve Web services interoperability between different Web services stacks. Today this includes Microsoft, Spring Source, Sun and WSO2. I gave a pitch on AMQP and Apache Qpid as solutions for building heterogeneous message-oriented middleware applications.
> The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.04-ApacheCon-Stonehenge%26Qpid.pdf

Nice slides!

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: ApacheCon

Posted by Etienne Antoniutti Di Muro <et...@adaptivebytes.com>.
Thanks Dave,

cristal clear slides, as always....
Provided me with a very good insight of the whole picture.

Cheers!
Etienne

Re: ApacheCon

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Good stuff

Regards,

Rajith

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM, David Ingham
<Da...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> A quick update on ApacheCon...
>
> First was BarCamp. If you haven't heard of BarCamp, it works like this - the organizers provide some basic infrastructure (rooms, projectors, etc.) but there is no program defined in advance. The attendees turn up prepared to speak on some topic and then spend the first 30 minutes of the day devising the schedule for the day. I gave a session on the challenges of enterprise messaging in a heterogeneous environment, covering AMQP and Apache Qpid. It was a good session with lots of discussion.
> The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.03-ApacheCon-AMQP%26Qpid.pdf
>
> Jonathan Robie stepped up and organized a Qpid meetup at very short notice. Unfortunately there wasn't a big attendance due to the lack of advance notice. Jonathan and I reconvened to the bar ;-)
>
> On the Friday I presented again in a joint session with Kent Brown of Microsoft and Prabath Siriwardena of WSO2. The title was "Interoperability Through Community" and covered Apache Stonehenge and Apache Qpid. Stonehenge is an Incubator project focused on Web services interoperability. They've built a real-world application, StockTrader, that demonstrates through code how to achieve Web services interoperability between different Web services stacks. Today this includes Microsoft, Spring Source, Sun and WSO2. I gave a pitch on AMQP and Apache Qpid as solutions for building heterogeneous message-oriented middleware applications.
> The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.04-ApacheCon-Stonehenge%26Qpid.pdf
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave.

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: ApacheCon

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Two excellent presentations - and the discussion at the Bar Camp
especially was very good.

Had a great time with David at the bar too ....

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org