Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marco Tedone <mt...@jemos.org> on 2003/04/28 21:03:53 UTC

Acting as a mail server for external clients

Hi all,

I would like to know if someone of you could tell me if what I would like to
do is possible. Fist of I've got the following configuration:

Domain Name:                                                jemos.org
IP address:                                                      62.3.127.84
Mail server name:                                            jemos.org
(defined as <servername> and used as postfix of all my mail server users)
Mail server location:                                        My machine,
with a local IP address (192.168.x.x.)

Addressing from Internet to local machine:       I've got a router which
I've instructed to forward any request(http, mail and so on) to my local IP
(192.168.x.x)
Local domain name (machine name):                jemos (responding to the
local IP address 192.168.x.x)

Everything works fine from home: I set up an email client (with Outlook
Express for now) and I specified as POP3 and SMTP servers jemos (replying to
the local IP 192.168.x.x.). I can send and receive emails from anywhere. Now
it comes what I would like.

Today I tried to set up Outlook Express from the college where I'm working,
to access the email from the mail server running at home; because I couldn't
specify jemos as POP3 and SMTP servers (it can only be specified at home) I
specified jemos.org as POP3 and SMTP server. When I tried to connect to the
mail, the client waited a bit and after 60 seconds it replied to me that the
connection was timed out and if I wanted to wait for other 60 seconds. I
replied yes three times, but since I should have only 1 mail in my inbox
folder I thought there was something wrong with the connection. Here are my
questions:

1) Is it possible with james, provided an account locally, to set up an
external email client which reads the emails from the 'home' server?
2) Is it correct to specify jemos.org as POP3 and SMTP server on the
external email client?

Regards,

Marco Tedone