Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Rivas, Jesse" <Je...@comcast.com> on 2018/11/15 17:39:47 UTC

Removal of JDNSSEC dependency from Traffic Router

Hi Traffic Controllers,

Currently, the .pkg script is failing to build the Traffic Router rpm because the build_rpm.sh script for TR attempts to download jdnssec-tools.jar from verisign (http://www.verisignlabs.com/dnssec-tools/packages/old-releases), which is no longer available. Traffic Router used to leverage code from the jdnssec-tools.jar for zone signing, but it has since been replaced with our own implementation. All of the classes and subsequent tests that use the jdnssec package were previously moved from “core” to a separate module in Traffic Router (called “jdnssec”) that is not included in the maven build by default, and was kept for legacy and testing purposes.  I would like to propose removing the JDNSSEC dependency from Traffic Router altogether; this would include removing the jdnssec module in Traffic Router and subsequent pom files, and removing the “installDnsSec” function from the build_rpm.sh script in Traffic Router that attempts to download jdnssec-tools.jar and fails if it is unsuccessful.

Please let me know if there is any opposition to removing the external JDNSSEC dependency from Traffic Router, as it is no longer used for zone signing and is no longer available for download from verisign.

-Jesse

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Removal of JDNSSEC dependency from Traffic Router

Posted by "Fieck, Brennan" <Br...@comcast.com>.
Well, I opened a PR to remove it from TR. I haven't actually tested DNSSEC yet, but the package builds and TR will install and run based on the changes.
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/3038
I'll add that note in the docs that Jonathan Gray suggested in a bit.

I'm not really a Java guy, so this is probably missing some things.
Posted by "Rivas, Jesse" <Je...@comcast.com>.

Posted by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com>.
+1  - I'd leave a comment in the documentation to it as a reference implementation for functional comparison.

Jonathan G

Posted by "Fieck, Brennan" <Br...@comcast.com>.

Posted by "Schmidt, Andrew (Contractor)" <An...@comcast.com>.

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.