Posted to dev@giraph.apache.org by Sergey Edunov <ed...@fb.com> on 2016/06/21 17:42:26 UTC

Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Hi!

Recently, I talked to Roman and Avery about Giraph release process and we agreed it needs to be revived.
1.1.0 has been released 1.5 years ago and we had a lot of changes since then. Now is a good time to release 1.2.0. I volunteer to be release master this time.

In this release, we will have new implementation of "Out Of Core", multiple performance and reliability improvements and of course bug fixes.

As of today, one test case fails with memory issues, I’ll be working with author to figure out the fix.
We have two open issues marked for 1.2.0-SNAPSHOT, both have patches available:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-993
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-981
Let's review and close them.

Also, please, by Jun 29, reply in this thread if you have something planed that should go into this release. If there will be no issues by then, I'll cut a branch and start building and testing new Giraph 1.2.0

Regards,
Sergey

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Sergey Edunov <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for the delay, we don't seem to have any more outstanding issues
> and I finally cut a branch for our new release: release-1.2.0-RC0

Actually, it was great ;-) I was falling behind myself, but since the release is
delayed overall I don't have to feel too bad about it ;-)

But seriously, I'm only now picking up some of these tasks (especially YARN
ones).

Good timing on the branch -- I'll hook it up to Bigtop builds right away.

> Roman, how do we go from here?

The branch is cut and that's the baseline. Lets add CI to the branch
(see bellow)
and also hook it up to Bigtop (see above ;-)). Once that is done, lets
see what's
left for the release:
     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH/fixforversion/12336955/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-issues-panel

Currently it looks like we don't have any Unresolved issues. If that's
the case -- lets focus on testing and if that goes smoothly we can consider
cutting the first RC next week.

> I don't have permissions on Jenkins to
> add another build configuration or change any existing one. Do you?
> Can you set up continuous build on the new branch?

I'll hook the branch up, but in the meantime go ahead and ask Avery
(as the current Giraph chair) to run the following command on
minotaur.apache.org:
    $ modify_appgroups.pl hudson-jobadmin  --add=<your ASF ID>

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
I could take a look. Meantime, Sergey, would it be ok for you to
rename the branch
to stay closer to the usual release process?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Sergey Edunov <ed...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Roman,

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Ok, the job is up and running:

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Sergey Edunov <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Dongjin,

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Dongjin Lee <do...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Dongjin Lee <do...@apache.org>.
No problem. I will work on yarn profile issue (=GIRAPH-969[^1]) with the
assumption that Hadoop 2.7 is the lowest version of YARN we are going to
support. I can finish this work by this saturday[^2].

Thanks,
Dongjin

[^1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-969
[^2]: Friday for your timezone - As you know, Seoul is 17 hours ahead of
you. :)

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Dongjin Lee <do...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Sergey Edunov <ed...@fb.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Recently, I talked to Roman and Avery about Giraph release process and we agreed it needs to be revived.
> 1.1.0 has been released 1.5 years ago and we had a lot of changes since then. Now is a good time to release 1.2.0. I volunteer to be release master this time.
>
> In this release, we will have new implementation of "Out Of Core", multiple performance and reliability improvements and of course bug fixes.
>
> As of today, one test case fails with memory issues, I’ll be working with author to figure out the fix.
> We have two open issues marked for 1.2.0-SNAPSHOT, both have patches available:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-993
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-981
> Let's review and close them.
>

> Also, please, by Jun 29, reply in this thread if you have something planed that should go into this release. If there will be no issues by then, I'll cut a branch and start building and testing new Giraph 1.2.0

Exciting and exactly the right thing to do! Sergey, thank you so much
for volunteering as an RM.
As an RM for 1.1.0 I can definitely offer my help in releasing Giraph
1.2.0 and I can also offer
help in testing it with Bigtop.

First things first, though -- lets make sure we create a version 1.2.0
in our JIRA so that all
of us can track the issues that are going into the release. Sergey,
can you do that please?

Second of all, it would be great if we can cut the release branch at
some point. What's the
ETA for that?

Finally, can somebody please comment on what is the desired level of
YARN support for 1.2.0?

Thanks,
Roman.