Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nix Hanwei <wa...@yahoo.com.sg> on 2008/09/04 05:18:45 UTC

Monitor and report number of concurrent user

Hi Gurus,

May I know if there's scripts or suggestions for reporting concurrent user in tomcat?

Thanks in advance,
wannabe

      New Email names for you!
Hurry before someone else does!

Re: Monitor and report number of concurrent user

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
I think it depends on what you call "user".
Leon

R: Monitor and report number of concurrent user

Posted by Leandro Dardini <l....@comune.prato.it>.

The easy and dirty way is to query the manager application and grab the current session, running threads and other vars you are interested in. Be warned the manager application is not so easy to parse.
The correct path instead is to use JMX. JMX can be used to monitor all aspect of tomcat, like threads, sessions, etc. etc. If you use a jdk >= 1.5 then start adding -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote to your JAVA_OPTIONS and then look at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html and http://java.sun.com/jmx for details. There is already a nagios probe to get data via jmx http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=2338.html;d=1

I personally use the lambda probe application to monitor my tomcat farm from nagios. It is way too easy to parse.

Leandro