Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Celinio Fernandes <ce...@wanadoo.fr> on 2005/08/09 02:10:25 UTC

Xmlcursors : how to loop and then retrieve the values ?

Hi,
I am new to Xmlcursors and trying to use it to my project.

I have the following XML file:

<TTT>
 <AAA> <-- first child TTT
     <BBBB>
         <CCC> value1</CCC>
         <CCC> value2</CCC>
         <CCC> value3</CCC>
         <CCC> value4</CCC>
    </BBBB>
     <BBBB>
         <CCC> value5</CCC>
         <CCC> value6</CCC>
         <CCC> value7</CCC>
         <CCC> value8</CCC>
    </BBBB>
     <BBBB>
         <CCC> value9</CCC>
         <CCC> value10</CCC>
         <CCC> value11</CCC>
         <CCC> value12</CCC>
    </BBBB>
 </AAA>
 <AAA> <-- second child of TTT
     <BBBB>
         <CCC> value13</CCC>
         <CCC> value14</CCC>
         <CCC> value15</CCC>
         <CCC> value16</CCC>
    </BBBB>
     <BBBB>
         <CCC> value17</CCC>
         <CCC> value18</CCC>
         <CCC> value19</CCC>
         <CCC> value20</CCC>
    </BBBB>
     <BBBB>
         <CCC> value21</CCC>
         <CCC> value22</CCC>
         <CCC> value23</CCC>
         <CCC> value24</CCC>
    </BBBB>
 </AAA>
 etc ..
</TTT>

So I have a long series of <AAA> sections , with nested tags <BBBB> and
<CCC>
What I want:
To retrieve, for each section of <AAA> elements, a particular value of
<CCC>, against certain criterias (that I would pass through an Xquery
string).

My result would look like this:
For the first set: value9 for instance, for the second set: value16, etc ...

I know how to position the cursor to the first child, <AAA>:

 XmlCursor orderCursor = mydoc.newCursor();
       orderCursor.toFirstChild();

       But then, from there, how do you point to the other first child of
<TTT>: <AAA>?
       In other words, how do you loop through all the direct children of
<TTT> ?

I would like to use the power of XQuery combined with XMLCursors to do this.

Could anyone provide me with a little explanation on how to do this and / or
a little example ?

Thanks a lot.