Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by gd...@macromedia.com on 2001/05/15 22:19:49 UTC

Performance

Interestingly, these are the performance numbers I'm currently getting with
Sam's SoapRunner tests.  I'm using the latest CVS source of both xml-axis
and xml-soap, freshly built today, running on top of JRun 3.1 on a dual-proc
800Mhz Kayak workstation.  I ran each engine once through tcptunnel to
confirm that there were no errors, then got these results:

XML-SOAP:
messages per second      = 19.3
microseconds per message = 51813

XML-AXIS:
messages per second      = 160.4
microseconds per message = 6234

These are averages after running the test 8 times on each codebase.

I clock that as about an 8X performance improvement for this simple test.
Sam had reported 2X... can other people run these tests as well just to see
what the deal is?

Glen Daniels
Macromedia
Engineering Manager
http://www.macromedia.com/
                                Building cool stuff for web developers

Re: Performance

Posted by Robert J Walker <ro...@moh.hnet.bc.ca>.
I've been running some home made tests to determine throughput for a
real application involving file attachments.
These tests were done under Windows 2000, single cpu, 9xxMHz, 512 MB
memory. TomCat-Apache-SOAP.
A few observations:
The specific JVM can impact throughput by a significant amount, 17% on
average for one installation scenario I did.
The fastest JVM depneds on the specific platform/version of the OS.
Surprisingly, when running on Windows 2000 Professional I got the best
results with IBM (+17%);
when running on Windows 2000 Server I got the best results with Sun's
JVM, again by a wide margin.
Bumping up process priority on Windows 2000 degrades throughput. This is
counter intuitive. ?!
Reducing video resolution to 640x480 does boost performance.
Allocating more memory to the jvm also does boost performance.

At the end of the day I could reliably process 49 messages/second with
attachments under Apache-SOAP.
i.e. between two workstations on a lan, in a well tuned environment.
By "process" I mean the server received and acknowledged that many
messages in that time frame on average on twenty trials consiting of 100
messages per trial.

One must be careful with Windows 2000 Professional. It does choke off
your foreign socket connection requests when you reach some maximum
magic number. Windows 2000 Server does not limit you on socket open
requests.

Also there is a high degree of variability between the maximum and
minimum observed throughputs.

I am looking formward to using Axis when attachments are eventually
supported.

Cheers,
Robert Walker

Re: Performance

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com>.
Tried this again at home on a 766Mhz PIII running Win98, also JRun 3.1.

xml-soap averaged about 21 messages/second, just a little FASTER than my
machine at work (?), and xml-axis got around 85 messages/second.  Perhaps
something in the SAX parser/JVM combination on my work machine is able to
take advantage of the dual processors there....

Still getting 4X improvement over current xml-soap, which isn't too bad.

--G