Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Braithwaite, Keith" <kb...@zuhlke.com> on 2008/07/16 18:40:50 UTC

use of tests in developing log4j?

Greetings all,

I'm conducting some research into TDD and its effect on design. Through
looking at various open-source Java codebases I've found what looks like
a positive correlation between a certain design metric and the use of
test-driven design. This isn't (and isn't meant to be) a figure of merit
in its own right, but if the correlation does hold then it could be an
interesting parameter for teams that do choose to use TDD.

I've looked at log4j 1.2.15 and found the metric on the high (ie "TDD")
side.

Could you spare a couple of minutes to explain briefly how your use
tests in the development of log4j? I'm mainly interested how you drive
out design decisions and if that policy has become different over
time-which perhaps might show up differently in different parts of the
code.

Best Regards,

Keith

Ps: the ongoing research is described at
http://peripateticaxiom.blogspot.com/2006/05/complexity-and-test-first-0
.html
<http://peripateticaxiom.blogspot.com/2006/05/complexity-and-test-first-
0.html>  and the following posts on the test-first complexity tag.

___________________________________

Consulting * Development * Integration

Keith Braithwaite
Business Unit Leader

Centre for Agile Practice
<http://www.zuehlke.com/en/know-how/nach-technologien/agile-software-ent
wicklung/>

Zuhlke Engineering Ltd
Marble Arch Tower
55 Bryanston Street
London W1H 7AJ
United Kingdom

Phone     +44(0)870 777 2337
Mobile       +44(0)778 626 5831
Fax   +44(0)870 777 2366
Keith.Braithwaite@zuhlke.com <ma...@zuhlke.com>
____________________________________

Zuhlke Engineering Ltd Registered in England
Company No: 4103211
Registered Office: 25 Moorgate London EC2R 6AY

This e-mail is for the addressees only. The information it contains is
confidential
and may be legally privileged. If you are not an addressee you must not
distribute,
copy, disclose, use or rely on this e-mail or its contents and you must
immediately
notify the sender and delete all copies from your
system. Any unauthorised use may be unlawful.