Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2022/01/31 07:50:13 UTC

Elasticsearch sink

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-3103 mentions issues with the ElasticsearchSink.
This component uses version 0.90.0 which was released in April 2013. It is so old that it doesn’t
appear on the EOL schedule at https://www.elastic.co/support/eol. I think it is safe to say this
version went EOL at least 6 years ago.

I’d upgrade it but I am fearful of a few things:
1. Can anyone possibly be using this component as is?
2. Elastic changed the license in version 7. That creates problems using the “normal”
elasticsearch project.

Elastic has created a brand new Java client - https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-java -
but essentially implementing this would be like a brand new sink anyway since nothing is
compatible with 0.90.0 anymore.

Given how old this is would it make more sense just to remove it from the release? I do not
want to spend weeks upgrading that and at this point I’m the only one committing.

With so many version jumps my expectation is that the existing code is not going to upgrade
very well. So before I spend any time on this I’d like some feedback.

Thoughts?

Ralph

Re: Elasticsearch sink

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Thanks, 6.1.0 is better than 0.90.0. At least there is a chance it might be
more easily upgradeable from there.

I wouldn’t take some other project’s code without their permission.

This does beg the question though as to whether all these sources and sinks
wouldn’t be better off in separate source repos. Personally, I would prefer that
the base Flume release only consist of the components that virtually every
deployment will use and then have a number of separate repos that are
independently updated and released.This would definitely make releasing
Flume much easier.

That might be a good goal for a 2.0 release.

Ralph

Re: Elasticsearch sink

Posted by Tristan Stevens <tr...@apache.org>.
Ralph,