Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2003/03/04 18:41:05 UTC

Re: [Contribution] Portlet Customizer

Jeremy, This was committed today

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 03:59  PM, Jeremy Ford wrote:

> I have developed a portlet customizer that I would like to contribute
> Jetspeed.  I have attached a file with the necessary patches to
> integrate
> the portlet customizer as well as the new templates and code that
> provide
> the functionality.
>
> Please feel free to make comments and/or suggestions.
>
> Please note:  This customizer requires the RemoveMediaTypePatch file
> to be
> applied.  Without it, I believe a casting exception will occur.
>
> Jeremy Ford
>
> How to use:
>
> 1) Log in as admin
> 2) Go to the admin tab.
> 3) Choose portlet browser
>
> You will notice that you now have the options to add a new portlet,
> update
> an existing one, or delete an existing portlet.
>
> Adding a portlet
> 1) Click on "Add Portlet"
> 2) Enter your information
> 4) Click on "Insert Portlet".
> 5) You will be taken back to the portlet browser and you should now
> see your
> portlet
>
> Updating a portlet
> 1) Choose a portlet and click on "Update Portlet"
> 2) You will notice 4 tabs.  These tabs are broken down into info, media
> types, categories, and parameter
> 3) Choose the tab of your choose and make modifications as necessary
> 4) The info tab allows to modify the main fields of a portlet
> 5) The media type tab allows you to add/remove media type entries to
> your
> portlet.  By default, there are none.
> 6) The categories tab allows you to add/remove categories to your
> portlet.
>     Your portlet will inherit the categories of your parent (if it has
> one).
> If your portlet does not have any categories, then your parent's
> categories
> will not show.  Also, you cannot remove the categories that belong to
> your
> parent.
> 7) The parameter tab allows you to add/modify/remove parameters. You
> can
> choose to modify any of the values in this portlet at this point.
> 8) Since there is so much information that can be attached to
> parameters,
> there is a more link so that you may investigate individual parameters
> more
> thoroughly.  Within this screen, you can choose to update any parameter
> fields that you desire.
>

> Deleting a portlet
> 1) Choose a portlet and click on "Delete Portlet"
> 2) Confirm your decision
> 3) The portlet will not be in the browser
>
> <RemoveMediaTypePatch.txt><PortletBrowserPatch.zip>--------------------

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
+01 707 773-4646

Re: [Contribution] Portlet Customizer

Posted by Jeremy Ford <ca...@hotmail.com>.
I just tested it and it is working.  I did notice a couple of bugs though
which I have fixed and submitted the patch.

I'll describe the flow adding a portlet.

1) You initially create a portlet with some basic information to get you
started.  Because portlets have so much info (parameters, categories, media
types,...), you do not have an opportunity to set those values until create
the portlet.  I felt like the screen was getting way too cluttered to have
it all on one page.

2)  Once you have created your portlet, you will have the opportunity to add
categories, media types, parameters, or change information about your
portlet.  This can be done by clicking on the tabs.
If you take an HTML portlet as an example, you have no need to set anything
other than the basic information presented to you in the first tab.  For an
XSL portlet however, you need to add a stylesheet parameter, otherwise, your
portlet will not display anything.

3)  When you're done, you can then edit psml files and add your newly
created portlet to them.

One way to check that your portlet is being created is to check the
local-portlets.xreg file.  The portlet should have been created in this
file.  Please note:  Jetspeed will not automatically serialize this out to
the file.  It does so periodically.  If you shutdown your servlet container,
it will do so then.

If you need any help, feel free to ask.

Jeremy Ford

Posted by Glen Carl <gl...@buonvia.com>.