Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2006/03/31 04:28:45 UTC

Using the embedder for ITs

Hi,

Just wanted to float the idea of using the embedder for the ITs. It's
been discussed before but now I think it's getting close to possible
with the work on the embedder-refactor branch. The CLI uses the embedder
on the branch and everything works.

The subtlety is that it will not be the command line anymore in the
strict sense even though it's the same code now. The one benefit is that
trying to run the ITs through the embedder I believe will stimulate some
cleanup in the core because I know for sure they would not all pass
right now because of some thread safety issues and use of System
properties. The other benefit is that the ITs would probably run in 5
seconds which would be nice.

Any thoughts?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

   -- Shakespeare

Re: Using the embedder for ITs

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 4/3/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > After the 2.0.4 release I would like to merge what I have on the
> > embedder-refactor branch into the trunk.
>
> why wait? That's what trunk is for :D

+1

Milos

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Another positive for this: it would enable us to use Continuum to run
> the integration tests on a particular version of Maven via the embedder,
> taking us one step closer to eliminating ci.sh.

Absolutely. It's archetype and embedder this week so I'll try to start
something there.

After the 2.0.4 release I would like to merge what I have on the
embedder-refactor branch into the trunk. So I'll post a little summary
of the changes therein. But all the tests are passing and Milos has
tried out the changes in the Netbeans plugin and Eugene has tried them
in the Eclipse plugin.

Another discussion might be tying in some of the common code Fabrizio is
talking about into the embedder and using it all from there. But that's
another email :-)

> - Brett
>
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wanted to float the idea of using the embedder for the ITs. It's
>> been discussed before but now I think it's getting close to possible
>> with the work on the embedder-refactor branch. The CLI uses the embedder
>> on the branch and everything works.
>>
>> The subtlety is that it will not be the command line anymore in the
>> strict sense even though it's the same code now. The one benefit is that
>> trying to run the ITs through the embedder I believe will stimulate some
>> cleanup in the core because I know for sure they would not all pass
>> right now because of some thread safety issues and use of System
>> properties. The other benefit is that the ITs would probably run in 5
>> seconds which would be nice.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

   -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: Using the embedder for ITs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Can we somehow add a mode to the embedder, or a wrapper around it, so
that forking an m2 instance instead is just configuration?

That way the default can be fast via the embedder, but the others
possible for release testing.

- Brett

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

  -- Unknown

RE: Using the embedder for ITs

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.