Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Andy Schlaikjer <ha...@cs.cmu.edu> on 2008/01/31 18:25:39 UTC

Questions on Slice for OpenJPA

Hi all,

While familiarizing myself with OpenJPA I found Pinaki Poddar's blog on
the Dev2Dev site, and had a few questions on his new project Slice. In
case there are other Slice users lurking here I thought I'd post to this
list.

Pinaki mentions that queries are performed by Slice across all delegates
in parallel. My application may require many slices, perhaps as many as
100. In this case, what will the threading model look like? Will the
ratio of threads to delegates be 1:1? It might be advantageous to expose
configuration of the threading policy and/or work queues in this situation.

For the most part, I've been using "GenerationType.IDENTITY" for my
entity ids. I didn't find mention of this in Slice documentation, but I
imagine that id generation would have to be coordinated across all
slices, so queries on entity id alone would work as intended. How should
id generation be handled in applications taking advantage of Slice?

Cheers,
Andy