Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/07/19 23:09:56 UTC

Apache MSDN Offer is Back

A few months ago, we learned that the offer for ASF committers to get an MSDN license had gone away.  I'm happy to report that as of a few weeks ago, that offer is back in place.  For more details, committers can check out https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers and read donated-licenses/msdn.txt.

--Chris Nauroth

Re: Apache MSDN Offer is Back

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
That definitely was possible under the old deal.  You could go through the MSDN site and download an iso for various versions of Windows and run it under VirtualBox.  The MSDN site also would furnish a license key that you could use to activate the machine.

I haven't yet gone through this new process to see if anything has changed in the benefits.

--Chris Nauroth

From: Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 12:04 PM
To: Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>>
Cc: "common-dev@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <co...@hadoop.apache.org>>, "hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <hd...@hadoop.apache.org>>, "yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <ya...@hadoop.apache.org>>, "mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <ma...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Apache MSDN Offer is Back

Thanks Chris!

I did avail of the offer a few months ago, and wasn't able to figure out if a windows license was also available. I want to run windows inside a virtual machine on my Linux laptop, for the rare cases that there are patches that may affect that. Any clue if that is possible?

Thanks
Ravi

Re: Apache MSDN Offer is Back

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.