Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/03 10:27:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Api for a monitoring real bundles states when used with extenders

With the multiplicity of extenders, it becomes increasingly difficult
to know when a bundle is actually started.
Another problem is when you actually want to order  bundles starting
process when they do use extenders.
What would you think about working on a simple API (similar to the
quiesce api) that could be used to have better information and control
over the real state of bundles.
This could also be benefical to applications / subsystems to actually
compute a real state for those.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Api for a monitoring real bundles states when used with extenders

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1 sounds good to me

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Note that a bundle could be considered ready when it provides a known
service, so I think this information should be captured too.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2011, 15:14 +0100 schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 14:30, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your clarifications !

> >> I think all do, but we still don't have any piece of code that grabs
> >> and aggregate those for a given bundle.
> >> Also, to compute this aggregation, you need to know before-hand what you expect.
> >
> > So such an extender would still have to "register" itself somehow ?
>
> I would suppose so, that's why I have the "api" word in the email
> thread subject.
> One way would be to have extenders registering an osgi service that
> could be leveraged by a central service to find the "ready" state of
> bundles.

ok.

Thinking about it, I'd say then: "give me the API and I add it to Apache
Felix DS" ;-)

> This may also need (to some degree) cooperation of the bundles so that
> they could indicate they need to be extended by a given extender, but
> that's a different story I guess.

> >> I am aware of the pitfalls, but I have some very specific use cases
> >> which aren't about making things work, but rather making things works
> >> nicely.
> >> For example consider the two following use cases:
> >>   * a log bundle is blueprint powered and thus started asycnhronously.
> >> All other bundles can actually work without this service being
> >> available, but when you start your framework, you'd still like the log
> >> bundle to be *ready* before the other ones start to capture most of
> >> the log events
> >>   * you have a bundle which will look for configurations in an
> >> external source (for example a jdbc database, or a file directory) and
> >> will feed the config admin with such data.  When you start the
> >> framework, you'd like to avoid having all bundles configured twice,
> >> you it would be better if other bundles would wait for that one to be
> >> ready before starting.
> >> I think such ordering has to be made with the StartLevel service, and
> >> once again, I don't want to solve bad designed bundles problems using
> >> the start level service, but I think the two uses cases I mentioned
> >> are actually valid (well, I do have those problems right now).  It
> >> would just be better if I could have a better control over a few
> >> bundles when the whole thing starts.
> >
> > Ok. Thanks for enlighten my.
> >
> > BTW: This is one of the reasons why I created a basically self-contained
> > logging support bundle in Sling, which can be started in a plain
> > framework and which we do at start level 1.
>
> Right, in my case, it's not about blueprint, but the logger uses
> ConfigAdmin to be configured, so I still need to order things as much
> as possible for the very first bundles.

I solved this problem by bootstrapping the logger with framework
properties (and some fallback) and accept ConfigurationAdmin
configuration once ConfigurationAdmin comes in (DynamicImport-Package
and ServiceFactory are my friends here).

Regards
Felix

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:48, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2011, 11:24 +0100 schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:48, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > Are you sure you want to support "order bundles starting" ? I think this
>> > is not correct ....

>> > This sounds like the BundleTracker...
>> >
>> > Or did I miss your goal completely ?
>> >
>> > BTW: What is "the real state of a bundle" ?
>>
>> Yes, I think I haven't explained myself clearly.
>> When a bundle is supposed to be extended, this is usually done
>> asynchronously by the extender.  For example blueprint does that.
>> >From a user point of view, this means that the bundle can actually be
>> in an ACTIVE state without being "ready".  The bundle will really be
>> "ready" when the blueprint extender will have done its job.  This is
>> valid for all extenders that do their job asynchronously.
>
> Declarative Services comes to mind (though this is synchronous).
>
> But actually, the bundle is ready, when it's started. The services and
> components/beans/you-name-it may not available yet at that time, though.
>
> How about just defining a best practice for such extenders to send an
> EventAdmin event once they finished handling a bundle ?

I think all do, but we still don't have any piece of code that grabs
and aggregate those for a given bundle.
Also, to compute this aggregation, you need to know before-hand what you expect.

> No matter what, it sure depends on the cooperation of the extender,
> right ? So for Declarative Services, I could very well imagine, that I
> would implement an EventAdmin based solution.
>

>> The problem is that there's currently no easy way to know when you're
>> bundle is ready.  The goal would be to be able to give back to the
>> user a clear picture of the "state" of everything inside.
>
> By user you mean a system administrator I assume. So yes, I see the
> problem.

Right, that's the kind of people this would target.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.