Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Eli Ecanow <ee...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/02 18:56:02 UTC

Mailing List

Dear Apache Development Team,

My name is Eli Ecanow and I am carrying out the project under the
supervision of the FBI LA citizens academy. I am an undergraduate student
studying computer science at the University of Michigan and am working
alongside 4 undergraduate students studying Computer Science at MIT. The
Apache Project I am interested in is SpamAssassin. My team and I are
working to create an app which allows users to enter emails they receive
which appear to be spam or phishing scams. We started the project
approximately a month ago. We expect to be done with the project by the end
of the month of July. We have made some immense progress but we are having
trouble with the language processing piece of the code which helps give a
rating for each fraudulent email that is passed through the system based on
language analysis. We are impressed by project SpamAssassin and
specifically the language processing piece of your code because that is the
only part we are struggling with. If there is a mentor of Apache staff that
could help us better navigate that part of the code in the API, we would
greatly appreciate it. If this project is successfully completed it will
help identify and prevent many phishing scams for the future and better
educate citizens in the United States on how to better identify phishing
scams and not fall victim to them. We are a non-profit organization, and
everyone working on the project is doing it pro-bono. While this is not
directly contributing to an Apache project, I know that Apache already does
outstanding work with tracking, identifying, and recording different cyber
scams. This project will help contribute to Apache’s general goal to be
civically engaged and help protect citizens across the country from
malicious cyber crimes. I work around 35-40 hours a week on the project
along with my partners. If we could get some guidance from one of your
mentors, I am confident our app will be finished by our expected end date
and do great work. We would be willing to officially partner with Apache if
you would be willing to lend us some guidance. Please let me know if you
have any questions or concerns.

Best,
Eli Ecanow

Re: Mailing List

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Hello Eli,

I cannot speak for Apache or the Apache SpamAssassin project.  The concept
of partnering with us is not a common or simple endeavor.  That is a dead
end in my opinion.

However, I am a project management committee {pmc} member and have spent
nearly 25 years battling spammers.  I think I can help.  Please email me
off-list and I can discuss how I can help.

I am also cc'ing the pmc list for SpamAssassin in case others have ideas or
wish to chime in.

Regards,
KAM