Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2017/08/29 20:28:41 UTC

[FlexJS] Finding (x,y) position

Hi,

While working on drag-and-drop, I've made an "interesting" discovery having to do with the HTML-side's x and y getter functions.

Let's say you have a nesting of <div>s:

(this structure is similar to what is generated for DataGrid).

If you attempt to get the y location of "first" itemRenderer, you will get 30 back as the answer. That happens because the y getter first looks to see if the object has a "top" style value and, finding none, returns its offsetTop. In this case, offsetTop is 30 and offsetParent is "outer". If you get the y value of "inner" you will also get 30 as the answer for the same reason.

If each of the <div>s had position:relative (or absolute), then offsetTop would be as you would expect with each offsetParent being the <div> above it.

Our layout functions (and x and y setters) do not normally set the position style on element. I removed this a good while ago. Now I am trying to place a drop target indicator and to do that I need accurate (x,y) locations.

I have a couple of solutions:

  1.  For any element, look at its getBoundingClientRect and compare with its elementParent.getBoundingClientRect. The difference between then gives the child's position relative to the parent. This seems reliable.
  2.  Attempt to divine a child's position using the offset information. I can't make this work.
  3.  Modify the layouts to check the contentView's value of position and if not set already, set it to "relative". This makes the x and y getters return the right thing but may have unintended consequences.

Any advice from seasoned JavaScript developers is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter

Re: [FlexJS] Finding (x,y) position

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I think [1] is more about setting x,y.  I think the current problem is
getting x,y especially when position isn't set to absolute or relative.

Now maybe this isn't an important problem because nobody writes code that
reads x and y very often so having a getPositionInParent will be
sufficient.  I'm wondering how much code expects that x,y reports an
accurate value given that on the JS side we generally are letting HTML
layouts position items.  I think this issue has been around for a while
and we only now ran into it.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.