Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Riccardo Roasio <ri...@ircc.it> on 2006/02/07 11:59:25 UTC

problems running Tomcat

Hi, i'm triyng to install Tomcat; i do like this:

tar xzvf apache-tomcat.tar.gz

mv apache-tomcat /usr/local/tomcat

cd tomcat

export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat

and i triyed to run it with usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh

it seems to start but if i try to see http://10.2.254.103 ( the address
of the machine) from a browse  it says impossible to connect...

What's wrong?
Thanks

Antwort: Re: Antwort: problems running Tomcat

Posted by Andre Doeking <An...@aekwl.de>.
Hello Riccardo,

that's no problem.

Temporary you can set the environment variable with the export command.
"export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat"

To set this environment variable forever, you have to edit one of your
bash-files, such as .bashrc, i.e. for the user root in /root/.bashrc --> vi
/root/.bashrc

CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat
export CATALINA_HOME

Yours sincerely

Andrè Döking
Ärztekammer Westfalen-Lippe
Germany

             Riccardo Roasio
             <riccardo.roasio@
             ircc.it>                                                   An
                                        Tomcat Users List
             07.02.2006 12:05           <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                     Kopie

              Bitte antworten                                        Thema
                    an                  Re: Antwort: problems running
               "Tomcat Users            Tomcat
                   List"
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

Andre Doeking wrote:

>Hello Riccardo,
>
>yesterday I have installed Tomcat on RedHat Linux 4.
>
>The environment variable has to be named to "CATALINA_HOME" and the value
>pointing to your installation directory (that's /usr/local/tomcat) in your
>case.
>
>Yours sincerely
>
>Andrè Döking
>Ärztekammer Westfalen-Lippe
>Germany
>

>             Riccardo Roasio

>             <riccardo.roasio@

>             ircc.it>                                                   An

>                                        users@tomcat.apache.org

>             07.02.2006 11:59                                        Kopie

>                                                                     Thema

>              Bitte antworten           problems running Tomcat

>                    an

>               "Tomcat Users

>                   List"

>             <users@tomcat.apa

>                 che.org>

>Hi, i'm triyng to install Tomcat; i do like this:
>

>tar xzvf apache-tomcat.tar.gz
>
>mv apache-tomcat /usr/local/tomcat
>
>cd tomcat
>
>export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat
>
>and i triyed to run it with usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
>
>it seems to start but if i try to see http://10.2.254.103 ( the address
>of the machine) from a browse  it says impossible to connect...
>

>What's wrong?
>Thanks

Can you explain to to do this?
sorry for my ignorance...

Thanks,Riccardo

Re: Antwort: problems running Tomcat

Posted by Riccardo Roasio <ri...@ircc.it>.
Andre Doeking wrote:

>Hello Riccardo,
>
>yesterday I have installed Tomcat on RedHat Linux 4.
>
>The environment variable has to be named to "CATALINA_HOME" and the value
>pointing to your installation directory (that's /usr/local/tomcat) in your
>case.
>
>Yours sincerely
>
>Andrè Döking
>Ärztekammer Westfalen-Lippe
>Germany
>

>             Riccardo Roasio
>             <riccardo.roasio@
>             ircc.it>                                                   An
>                                        users@tomcat.apache.org
>             07.02.2006 11:59                                        Kopie
>
>                                                                     Thema
>              Bitte antworten           problems running Tomcat
>                    an
>               "Tomcat Users
>                   List"
>             <users@tomcat.apa
>                 che.org>
>

>Hi, i'm triyng to install Tomcat; i do like this:
>

>tar xzvf apache-tomcat.tar.gz
>
>mv apache-tomcat /usr/local/tomcat
>
>cd tomcat
>
>export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat
>
>and i triyed to run it with usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
>
>it seems to start but if i try to see http://10.2.254.103 ( the address
>of the machine) from a browse  it says impossible to connect...
>

>What's wrong?
>Thanks

Can you explain to to do this?
sorry for my ignorance...