Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/09/29 17:48:09 UTC

Re: Use of IRC

Gav.... wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering, Forrest Tuesdays obviously work and I am not saying
> anywhere here about stopping this,
> but, what about having the IRC forrest channel open permantly, so people can
> jump on it whenever they
> want and have a discussion about something, clarify, then get on with it.

-1 (see below)

> Are there disadvantages to having the channel open 24/7.

Many. The most significant being that it becomes a secondary
communications channel that only serves the purpose of splitting the
community support mechanisms.

Speaking personally, if I have the time to work on Forrest, I read my
mail first. Having an IRC channel open permanently would not change
that. I would not be available any more time than normal.

> I ask this, because I notice other projects, such as Geronimo, have a
> permanant channel, (theirs has been
> open in its current session since early March) and wondered why we could not
> do this also.

Search our archives for further discussion on this topic.

Ross