Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by foretopman <pi...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/15 20:36:38 UTC

Pronunciation

Here's a silly question: how do you pronounce FOP? Is it three syllables,
eff-oh-pee; or is it one syllable, /fahp/ or something like that?

Re: Pronunciation

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.
Yes, you're right. My mistake.

As one pedant to another, thanks for catching my slip. :)

Jay Bryant

Posted by Martin Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pronunciation

Posted by foretopman <pi...@yahoo.com>.

Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 23:04 -0600, Jay Bryant wrote:
>> With FOP, though, it amuses me to conflate the acronym with the
>> term for a dandy (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fop). Such are the
>> perils
>> of a Master's degree in English Literature....
>
> That was the point, actually.  That the acronym for Formatting Object to
> PDF was also a word for someone obsessed with style was just
> irresistible.
>
> ~Chris, whose sole contribution to the project was the name...

Thanks guys. I should have known I wasn't the only one to make the
connection with dandies.

Re: Pronunciation

Posted by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>.
On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 23:04 -0600, Jay Bryant wrote:
> I pronounce it the latter way (as a single syllable). I think that, if one
> were being strict, it should be three syllables, as one would do with other
> acronyms. With FOP, though, it amuses me to conflate the acronym with the
> term for a dandy (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fop). Such are the perils
> of a Master's degree in English Literature....

That was the point, actually.  That the acronym for Formatting Object to
PDF was also a word for someone obsessed with style was just
irresistible.

~Chris, whose sole contribution to the project was the name...
Part of the fact-based community since 1975.
GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319

Re: Pronunciation