Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Joshua Tu <tu...@live.com> on 2013/11/15 05:14:30 UTC

NN stopped and cannot recover with error "There appears to be a gap in the edit log"

Hi there,

I deployed a single node for testing, today the NN stopped and cannot start
it with eror: There appears to be a gap in the edit log.

2013-11-14 15:00:01,431 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl: NameNode metrics system
shutdown complete.
2013-11-14 15:00:01,432 FATAL
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: Exception in namenode join
java.io.IOException: There appears to be a gap in the edit log.  We expected
txid 8364, but got txid 27381.
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.MetaRecoveryContext.editLogLoaderProm
pt(MetaRecoveryContext.java:94)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLogLoader.loadEditRecords(FSEdi
tLogLoader.java:158)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLogLoader.loadFSEdits(FSEditLog
Loader.java:92)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadEdits(FSImage.java:744)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:660)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.doUpgrade(FSImage.java:349)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage
.java:261)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFSImage(FSNamesystem
.java:639)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFromDisk(FSNamesyste
m.java:476)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java
:403)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:437
)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.(NameNode.java:613)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.(NameNode.java:598)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java
:1169)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1233)
2013-11-14 15:00:01,445 INFO org.apache.hadoop.util.ExitUtil: Exiting with
status 1
2013-11-14 15:00:01,448 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at ubcdh/10.0.0.4

Since there is only one node so restore editlogs is not available, and
hadoop namenode -recover also not fit for this situation.

How can I fix this issue?

JOSHUA TU JUNXIONG

Best regards

Re: NN stopped and cannot recover with error "There appears to be a gap in the edit log"

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.
Maybe you can play with the "offline edits viewer". I have never run into
such an issue, this I have never been playing with "offline edits viewer"
on production datasets, but it has some options that could be perhaps
useful when troubleshooting and fixing.

[kawaa@localhost Desktop]$ hdfs oev
Usage: bin/hdfs oev [OPTIONS] -i INPUT_FILE -o OUTPUT_FILE
Offline edits viewer
Parse a Hadoop edits log file INPUT_FILE and save results
-f,--fix-txids         Renumber the transaction IDs in the input,
                       so that there are no gaps or invalid transaction IDs.
-r,--recover           When reading binary edit logs, use recovery
                       mode.  This will give you the chance to skip
                       corrupt parts of the edit log.

You wrote that you have "a single node for testing", so maybe it is worth
experimenting? ;)

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Kawa <ka...@gmail.com>.