Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com> on 1997/01/09 00:05:13 UTC

n + 1 MaxClients?

Anyone else seen MaxClients + 1 servers indicated in their status output?

I had 256 configured for awhile today, and was seeing things top out at
257 children. Now I'm configured for HARD_SERVER_LIMIT - 1, to be safe. 8^)

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
"You'll never be the man your mother was!"

Re: n + 1 MaxClients?

Posted by James H Cloos Jr <cl...@jhcloos.com>.
Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com> writes:

> Anyone else seen MaxClients + 1 servers indicated in their status output?

I'd forgotten about this.  We used to get this in 1.1.1, but we've not
been red-lined since I cut over to the 1.2bs.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.         <URL:http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/>
cloos@jhcloos.com           Work: cloos@io.com

Re: n + 1 MaxClients?

Posted by Ed Korthof <ed...@organic.com>.
On Jan 8,  3:53pm, Ed Korthof wrote:
> Subject: Re: n + 1 MaxClients?
> Looking at the code, I don't think that you actually had more than
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT -- probably the a child switched from idle to busy status
> while the functions counted the children were running.

I should ammend that -- this holds only if you used the /status handler to get
the information, as the description implied.  If 'ps -ef | grep httpd | grep -v
grep | wc -l' produces a number one larger than HARD_SERVER_LIMIT, that is
correct (since the parent server isn't counted amoung the children).  If it
produces a number two larger, then there is a more serious problem and there
really are more than HARD_SERVER_LIMIT children running (unless there's
recently been a graceful restart, and some of the children are hanging around).
 That would be very bad.  I attempted to reproduce it, but was unable; if you
can produce that error, I'd like to know.

--
     -- Ed Korthof        |  Web Server Engineer --
     -- ed@organic.com    |  Organic Online, Inc --

Re: n + 1 MaxClients?

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Ah, cool, you addressed those concerns.  +1 on these bugfix patches.

	Brian

Re: n + 1 MaxClients?

Posted by Ed Korthof <ed...@organic.com>.

Re: n + 1 MaxClients?

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Anyone else seen MaxClients + 1 servers indicated in their status output?

I reported that a long time ago. Back in the days before the scoreboard
monitor was written and I had a perl version.

I thought I'd fixed it, or maybe nobody cared at the time, or maybe it's
a copycat bug.