Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/05/24 23:09:57 UTC

[All] More components (Was: [ALL] Video recordings [...])

Hi.

On Tue, 23 May 2017 19:20:17 -0400, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hello Gilles,
>
>> Am 23.05.2017 um 06:46 schrieb Gilles
>> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>:
>>
>> Hi Benedikt.
>>
>> On Sun, 21 May 2017 19:40:28 -0400, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> at this year’s ApacheCON we had some nice presentations. I’d like
>>> share the video recordings with you (in order they were held at the
>>> event)
>>>
>>> Apache Commons - State of the Union by myself:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejxS9qkfMc&index=5&list=PLbzoR-pLrL6pLDCyPxByWQwYTL-JrF5Rp
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejxS9qkfMc&index=5&list=PLbzoR-pLrL6pLDCyPxByWQwYTL-JrF5Rp>
>>>
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejxS9qkfMc&index=5&list=PLbzoR-pLrL6pLDCyPxByWQwYTL-JrF5Rp
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejxS9qkfMc&index=5&list=PLbzoR-pLrL6pLDCyPxByWQwYTL-JrF5Rp>>
>>
>> Thank you for mentioning the "Commons Math" issue. For a
>> relatively short account, I found it well-balanced.
>
> Thank you!
>

>> We still don't agree on the "TLP" issue. At this point, I
>> do not see that the "Commons Math" has, even remotely, the
>> resources to become one.
>> It would be interesting to collect actual data points about
>> how such an evolution could come about.
>
> That’s why I made it clear, that this is just my opinion and not
> something our community has agreed upon.

I understood it as such.
I only stressed again that we can't solve the issue without
actual data, such as what is required for a TLP to not be
doomed to failure.
Maybe your opinion can be proven right, and I'll be convinced.
Or some crucial ingredient is missing and we can then all agree
that "Commons" is momentarily the best place for the stuff we
are talking about, i.e. the well-scoped utilities that have
become "Commons RNG" and "Commons Numbers", as well as the
hopefully upcoming "Commons SigProc", and perhaps a few others
(if a support team comes along).

My argument is still that "Commons" is that place, which you
described in your talk, where common code can be worked on by
people from various projects in Apache and outside.
Java "Math" code exists everywhere, with a lot of duplication
(and a lot missing); a TLP project that would be name "Apache
Math" will not solve that problem anymore than "Commons Math"
did.
My (perhaps futile) hope is that tiny components may be more
attractive to people with different backgrounds than a single
big, and intimidating, "Math" library.

Regards,
Gilles