Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Read <dr...@bea.com> on 2008/06/09 17:52:38 UTC

-----Original Message-----
From: Guillaume Nodet [mailto:gnodet@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:48 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: INCUBATOR-57 aka IPMC votes to ratify PPMC committers

+1

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> Currently on http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html, we have:
> ---
> Vote on the podling's private (PPMC) list, with notice posted to the
> Incubator private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the
> vote email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
> podling's private list. Many consider this approach to be best
> practice. After completing the vote on the PPMC list, the proposer
> calls a vote on the Incubator PMC private list, summarizing the
> discussion and vote, with a reference to the archived discussion and
> vote threads by the PPMC. The Incubator vote is done even if there are

> three +1 votes from Incubator PMC members during the PPMC vote, in
> order to give all Incubator PMC members a chance to express their
> support or disapproval after seeing the PPMC discussion and vote
> results. Note that only the Incubator PMC members can see the
> Incubator private discussion, and the podling's Mentors should review
> all Incubator PMC feedback with the PPMC. Moreover, only Apache
> members may review the private PPMC list (this is normally not an
> issue since most Incubator PMC members are Apache members).
> ---
>
> I'd like to make the suggestion that we alter this to:
> ---
> Vote on the podling's private (PPMC) list, with notice posted to the
> Incubator private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the
> vote email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
> podling's private list. Many consider this approach to be best
> practice. After completing the vote on the PPMC list, the proposer
> *sends a note to* the Incubator PMC private list, summarizing the
> discussion and vote, with a reference to the archived discussion and
> vote threads by the PPMC.  *Any member of the Incubator PMC can ACK
> the receipt of the vote.  This starts a 72-hour window for lazy
> consensus.  After 72 hours and no requests by any Incubator PMC member

> for a full vote by the Incubator PMC, the committer request is
> approved by the Incubator PMC and the PPMC can start the committer
> invitation process.*
> ---
>
> This intentionally follows the procedure for adding a PMC member wrt
> full ASF board.  I like the concept of expanding this for committers
> as well for Incubation, so there.  I don't like needless 'dual
> voting', but I do want the IPMC to have the chance to execute
> oversight.
>
> WDYT?    -- justin

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.