Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Moreno <al...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/22 12:39:25 UTC

manager for some users

Hello everybody,

i´m working in a university where we have a tomcat server running some
different aplications developed by ourselves. We have different people
working on each application and each one of them needs to restart at some
different moments their applications.

The problem is that the department don´t want to give us manager access for
all the applications. I´ve been looking for the way of giving manager access
to only one or two application, depending on the user.

For example, alex should be able to access as manager (to restart the app)
with permissions on postgrados application, but not able to see presupuestum
app. In the other way, the user Maria should be able to access to
presupuestum but not to postgrados.

Can it be done in tomcat? I really need this, in advance thanks for your
help.

Regards.

Re: FTP Was: Re: manager for some users

Posted by er...@swapsimple.com.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:33:09PM -0500, Steve Ochani wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2005 at 14:14, erh@swapsimple.com wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 01:17:56PM +0100, Alex Moreno wrote:
> > > The problem is that some partners has said me that this is insecure
> > > and should only be used on beta application servers. At least this
> > > is what the department says us to deny this petition.
> >
> >  what?  They say ftp is insecure?  Well horray for inept admins who
> >  don't
> > know how to configure their system.
>
> Yes, FTP itself is insecure. It has nothing to do with ability of admins. The protocol
> iteself is a clear text protocol and is thus insecure.

	d'oh!  of course.  I don't know what I was thinking.
Thanks for the clue-by-four.

eric

Re: FTP Was: Re: manager for some users

Posted by Suresh Nair <su...@sph.com.sg>.
You must have send this to me by mistake.

Please delete me from your message list.

Thank you.

SURESH NAIR
(o)  Suresh_Nair@sph.com.sg
(h)  singnair@yahoo.com.sg
(h)  singnair@gmail.com

             Steve Ochani
             <oc...@ncc.edu>
             23/11/2005 04:33          Alex Moreno <al...@gmail.com>,
             AM                        Tomcat Users List
                                       <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to         Tomcat Users List
               "Tomcat Users           <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                   List"                                           Subject
             <users@tomcat.apa         FTP Was: Re: manager for some users
                 che.org>

On 22 Nov 2005 at 14:14, erh@swapsimple.com wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 01:17:56PM +0100, Alex Moreno wrote:
> > The problem is that some partners has said me that this is insecure
> > and should only be used on beta application servers. At least this
> > is what the department says us to deny this petition.
>
>  what?  They say ftp is insecure?  Well horray for inept admins who
>  don't
> know how to configure their system.

Yes, FTP itself is insecure. It has nothing to do with ability of admins.
The protocol
iteself is a clear text protocol and is thus insecure.

>Or are they claming that
> reloadable is insecure?
>  uh, so if you can't use the manager, and you can't put files where
> tomcat can get at them, how DO you install a webapp?

You can upload/install a webapp in many ways that do not require you to use
FTP, ssh
is one example.

-Steve O.

There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.
 - Jeff Polk

Steve O.
http://www.steveo.us

New pics: B17G and B24
http://www.steveo.us/B17-B24

B17G WWII Bomber "Yankee Lady" Flight
http://www.steveo.us/b17ride

SUNY NCC MATH/COMPUTER Dept.
http://www.matcmp.ncc.edu

NOTE: Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email. All opinions, conclusions and other
information expressed in this message not of an official nature shall not
be deemed as given or endorsed by Singapore Press Holdings Ltd or any of
its subsidiaries unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative
independent of this message.
Singapore Press Holdings Ltd
Co. Regn No. 198402868E

FTP Was: Re: manager for some users

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
On 22 Nov 2005 at 14:14, erh@swapsimple.com wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 01:17:56PM +0100, Alex Moreno wrote:
> > The problem is that some partners has said me that this is insecure
> > and should only be used on beta application servers. At least this
> > is what the department says us to deny this petition.
>
>  what?  They say ftp is insecure?  Well horray for inept admins who
>  don't
> know how to configure their system.

Yes, FTP itself is insecure. It has nothing to do with ability of admins. The protocol
iteself is a clear text protocol and is thus insecure.

>Or are they claming that
> reloadable is insecure?
>  uh, so if you can't use the manager, and you can't put files where
> tomcat can get at them, how DO you install a webapp?

You can upload/install a webapp in many ways that do not require you to use FTP, ssh
is one example.

-Steve O.

There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.
 - Jeff Polk

Steve O.
http://www.steveo.us

New pics: B17G and B24
http://www.steveo.us/B17-B24

B17G WWII Bomber "Yankee Lady" Flight
http://www.steveo.us/b17ride

SUNY NCC MATH/COMPUTER Dept.
http://www.matcmp.ncc.edu

Re: manager for some users

Posted by er...@swapsimple.com.
> On 11/22/05, Kyle <kl...@attitia.com> wrote:
> > If you set which ever server.xml parameter it is that auto-reloads an
> > application (I think it's reloadable="true", or something like that) and
> > just have your users recompile their entire app each time and then ftp
> > it into the relevant directory, tomcat should automatically reload each
> > app for them without anyone needing manager access.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 01:17:56PM +0100, Alex Moreno wrote:
> The problem is that some partners has said me that this is insecure and
> should only be used on beta application servers. At least this is what the
> department says us to deny this petition.

	what?  They say ftp is insecure?  Well horray for inept admins who don't
know how to configure their system.  Or are they claming that reloadable is
insecure?
	uh, so if you can't use the manager, and you can't put files where
tomcat can get at them, how DO you install a webapp?

> > >The problem is that the department don?t want to give us manager access
> > for
> > >all the applications. I?ve been looking for the way of giving manager
> > access
> > >to only one or two application, depending on the user.

	What you probably want is different instances of tomcat for each user.
Otherwise it is trivial for one person's webabb to bring down everyone
elses.  e.g. sometimes all it takes is re-installing the webapp enough
times until tomcat runs out of memory.

eric

Re: manager for some users

Posted by Alex Moreno <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: manager for some users

Posted by Kyle <kl...@attitia.com>.

Alex Moreno wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>i´m working in a university where we have a tomcat server running some
>different aplications developed by ourselves. We have different people
>working on each application and each one of them needs to restart at some
>different moments their applications.
>
>The problem is that the department don´t want to give us manager access for
>all the applications. I´ve been looking for the way of giving manager access
>to only one or two application, depending on the user.
>
>For example, alex should be able to access as manager (to restart the app)
>with permissions on postgrados application, but not able to see presupuestum
>app. In the other way, the user Maria should be able to access to
>presupuestum but not to postgrados.
>
>Can it be done in tomcat? I really need this, in advance thanks for your
>help.
>
>Regards.

Kind Regards

Kyle Lange