Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2016/12/26 18:45:36 UTC

Buildbots are working again

Hi

All the buildbots are successfully building now.

The FreeBSD bot was fixed by changing the buildbot script to use Clang
instead of GCC. From what I've seen, on FreeBSD, loading a mixture of C++
libraries built with GCC and C++ libraries built with Clang into the same
process, and using more advanced C++ features like exception handling,
causes memory corruption and crashes due to incompatible C++ ABIs; either
every library has to be built with GCC or every library has to be built
with Clang. In practice, the former requires a rebuild of the entire base
system and building all ports from source, which is why the latter is
better.

The Linux bots were much harder to fix. The build was breaking because libc
isn't linked to in some gbuild modules, something that was fixed by
explicitly always linking to libc on Linux, and because Google Test wasn't
linking to libpthread, somehow resulting in missing symbols in at least
main/binaryurp when built without --enable-dbgutil, which was fixed by
explicitly linking it to libpthread. I don't like these linker mysteries,
which never happen on FreeBSD, and some of which can be worked around with
the "gold" linker...

Damjan

Re: Buildbots are working again

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Damjan.
Sounds really great. I will update my repository and try to build open
office again. Maybe it works for me.
:)

All the best
Peter

--

Disclaimer: Diese Nachricht stammt aus einem Google Account. Ihre Antwort
wird in der Google Cloud Gespeichert und durch Google Algorythmen zwecks

Re: Buildbots are working again

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter

If trunk is stable and I develop in branches, then buildbots will either be
equally broken as they will break on the branches, or they will build trunk
and be stable but useless to me.

I think your biggest problem is building on Arch Linux, and I am
downloading it now to try it myself. Which bitness are you using?

Damjan

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I plan to be back on AOO next week, and would also appreciate a
reasonably stable, reliably building svn environment.

There are two options. Ideally, trunk becomes stable and reliably
building, and destabilizing activities go in branches. If that gets in
the way of using the buildbots to test the gbuild activity, maybe create
a stable branch.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.