Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Euan Guttridge <EG...@buildonline.com> on 2003/06/10 23:07:12 UTC

lag when restarting tomcat

If I bounce tomcat via the /bin/shutdown.sh & /bin/startup.sh scripts it
takes at least 20 seconds until it responds again. This is still after my
war has been unpacked and jsps compiled.. Any suggestions please?

Running standalone, on linux 2*700mhz, 1GB. One application 30mb.

Thanks
Euan

Re: lag when restarting tomcat

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
That's normal, in my experience.

In fact, my scripts sleep for 10 seconds at least before starting Tomcat
after a full stop, and 10 seconds minimum in between starting every
instance (22 on one server).

Tomcat != Apache.

John

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@yahoo.com>.
Howdy,
You can reduce startup time by eliminating unneeded applications.  In
production servers, I hardly ever leave anything but the webapp itself: I
remove the admin, manager, docs, webdav, examples, ROOT contexts.

Things that affect shutdown include your custom finalizers, if any.  Similarly,
destroy() methods in servlets, filters, and various shutdown methods in
listeners can take time to invoke and execute.

If you're really annoyed by this and care enough to contribute code, why don't
you profile tomcat startup to see where CPU time is spent, and then suggest
patches? ;)

Yoav Shapira

--- Euan Guttridge <EG...@buildonline.com> wrote:
> If I bounce tomcat via the /bin/shutdown.sh & /bin/startup.sh scripts it
> takes at least 20 seconds until it responds again. This is still after my
> war has been unpacked and jsps compiled.. Any suggestions please?
>
> Running standalone, on linux 2*700mhz, 1GB. One application 30mb.
>

> Thanks
> Euan

=====
Yoav Shapira