Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Pratik Thaker <Pr...@smartstream-stp.com> on 2015/03/12 12:03:12 UTC

Should I Use Solr

Hi,

I am using Oracle 11g2 and we are having a schema where few tables are having more than 100 million rows (some of them are Varchar2 100 bytes). And we have to frequently do the LIKE based search on those tables. Sometimes we need to join the tables also. Insert / Updates are also happening very frequently for such tables (1000 insert / updates per second) by other applications.

So my question is, for my User Interface, should I use Apache Solr to let user search on these tables instead of SQL queries? I have tried SQL and it is really slow (considering amount of data I am having in my database).

My requirements are,

Result should come faster and it should be accurate.
It should have the latest data.
Can you suggest if I should go with Apache Solr, or another solution for my problem ?

Regards,
Pratik Thaker
________________________________
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Re: Should I Use Solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/12/2015 5:03 AM, Pratik Thaker wrote:
> I am using Oracle 11g2 and we are having a schema where few tables are having more than 100 million rows (some of them are Varchar2 100 bytes). And we have to frequently do the LIKE based search on those tables. Sometimes we need to join the tables also. Insert / Updates are also happening very frequently for such tables (1000 insert / updates per second) by other applications.
>
> So my question is, for my User Interface, should I use Apache Solr to let user search on these tables instead of SQL queries? I have tried SQL and it is really slow (considering amount of data I am having in my database).
>
> My requirements are,
>
> Result should come faster and it should be accurate.
> It should have the latest data.
> Can you suggest if I should go with Apache Solr, or another solution for my problem ?

Solr will do what you want.  I have essentially the same situation,
except the database is MySQL.  We have just over 100 million total
documents.  Our add/update rate is much lower than yours.

For a fully redundant setup, I am running two copies of the index on
four Solr servers that each have 64GB of RAM.  It's a distributed index
that's not running SolrCloud, two servers are required to house one
complete copy of the index.  The total index size on each pair of
servers is about 150GB.

Thanks,
Shawn