Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rajesh Khater <ra...@wipro.com> on 2003/05/26 09:30:13 UTC

Setting nested properties

Hi,

If a texfield in my JSP is using value[1].value[2] as its property, then while displaying page, Struts will make a method call like this:
formbean.getValue(1).getValue(2).

While setting the value back in formbean, how will the method call look like ? Is it like :

formbean.getValue(1).setValue(2, "the value in the textfield");

That is, the setter method is called on the last element of a nested property. Upto the last element, only getters are called ??

I hope I am clear enough :)

Thanks,
Rajesh.

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

Re: A Basic Q on action mapping

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.
Lots of struts-config elements can use this "classname" attribute and <set-property> child elements. It allow you to use
an alternative class for configuration objects.

To give you a concrete example, if you want a mapping to have a "userAllowed" property, that will be a list of user that
are allowed to execute this action (in real lifge you shoul use "role" attribute for this).

You can extend ActionMapping to add a "userAllowed" javabean property and set your struts-config like this :

<action classname="MyActionMapping" path="...">
    <set-porperty name="userAllowed" value="admin, manager"/>
</action>

Hope it will help you.

Nico.

HI,
when exactly we use this set-property in the action mapping and can anyone give a live example
               <set-property property="" value=""/>
TIA

Re: A Basic Q on action mapping

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Struts allows pluggable objects just about everywhere (maybe even
everywhere). When you extend an Action, ActionForward, and so forth, you
need a way to set the properties you've added. Plugging in a new DTD
would be a real headache. Alternatively, you can use <set-property> to
set any arbitrary public property on the underlying object.

The Validator and Tiles PlugIn both use <set-property> to populate
public fields regarding their configuration paths.

<
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/validator/ValidatorPlugIn.java?rev=1.17&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

<
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/tiles/TilesPlugin.java?rev=1.20&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,

A Basic Q on action mapping

Re: Setting nested properties

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Yes. It's all getters, and then a setter at the end (since that is the
only value which changes).

--
Ted Husted,