Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ajay <aj...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/18 05:20:48 UTC

Cassandra for Analytics?

Hi,

Can Cassandra be used or best fit for Real Time Analytics? I went through
couple of benchmark between Cassandra Vs HBase (most of it was done 3 years
ago) and it mentioned that Cassandra is designed for intensive writes and
Cassandra has higher latency for reads than HBase. In our case, we will
have writes and reads (but reads will be more say 40% writes and 60%
reads). We are planning to use Spark as the in memory computation engine.

Thanks
Ajay

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@datastax.com>.
I'd argue the higher latency for reads than HBase, I'm not sure of what
experience you have with both, and that may have been true at one point,
but with Leveled Compaction Strategy and proper JVM tunings I'm not sure
how this is true, it would at least be comparable. I've worked with buffer
cached configured clusters where the 99th percentile read is sub 400
microseconds.

Spark and Cassandra when combined are a common fit and use case for real
time analytics and Ooyala has been doing this for some time. They're a
number of Youtube videos where they talk about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZp7K5z7ew

--

[image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>

Ryan Svihla

Solution Architect

[image: twitter.png] <https://twitter.com/foundev> [image: linkedin.png]
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ryan-svihla/12/621/727/>

DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology,
delivering Apache Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises.
Datastax is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any
size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax is the
database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds
most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
@Colin -
I bounce back and forth on classifying storm and spark as stream processing
frameworks. Clearly they are marketed as stream processing frameworks and
they can process data streams. Even with the commercial stream processing
products, expressing joins with some of the products is a bit "quirky" to
put in a nice way. The streamSql based products tend to be easier for end
users to grok, but it's still not an idea way of expressing temporal
patterns and temporal queries.

that's the reason I always tell our customers figure out your use case
first. though most of them respond with "we don't know the use case, but we
know we want to use it"

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Colin <co...@clark.ws>.

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Ajay <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

You are right.The idea is to directly query the data from No SQL, in our
case via Spark SQL on Spark (as largely Spark support
Mongo/Cassandra/HBase/Hadoop). As you said, the business users still need
to query using Spark SQL. We are already using No SQL BI tools like Pentaho
(which also plans to support Spark SQL soon). The idea is to abstract the
business users from the storage solutions (more than one. Cassandra/HBase &
Mongo).

Thanks
Ajay

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Ajay <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
in the interest of knowledge sharing on the general topic of stream
processing. the domain is quite old and there's a lot of existing
literature.

within this space there are several important factors which many products
don't address:

temporal windows (sliding windows, discrete windows, dynamic windows) -
most support the first 2, but poorly on dynamic windows
temporal validity - for how long is the data valid? - most don't support
this
temporal patterns - patterns that are valid for a finite amount of time -
most don't support this as a first class concept
temporal data types - machine learning systems that can create new data
types - most don't support this
temporal distance - the maximum time-to-live for a specific piece of data -
most don't support this

Having studied many stream processing products, most focus on simple
queries on 1 tuple (aka object type) and basic joining of streams. A tuple
here is basically equivalent to 1 table. Some stream products let you
materialize views (aka projections) like summary tables, but most do not
let you define an in-memory cube to make complex queries easier. For the
most part, the developer has to mentally break down the queries into
multiple pieces and do it manually.

With most products, it's possible to hack together something that looks
like a mdx query, but the level of effort differs. Even then, the bigger
question is the overall architecture. Once the use case is known, it's much
easier to decide what needs to be filtered before persistence and what
needs to be summarized before persistence.

peter

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@datastax.com>.

Re: Cassandra for Analytics?