Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Samuli Saarinen <sa...@remion.com> on 2008/10/06 15:00:09 UTC

Problem with release plugin

Hello,

I'm using maven 2.0.9 with a multi-module project and try to make a
release using maven-release-plugin. My project structure is following:

parent
   - child1
   - child2

parent pom.xml:
<project>
   <version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
   <modules>
   	<module>child1</module>
   	<module>child2</module>
   </modules>
</project>

child1 pom.xml:
<project>
	<version>1.0.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
	<parent>
		<groupId>com.foo.test</groupId>
		<artifactId>test</artifactId>
		<version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
	</parent>
</project>

child2 pom.xml:
<project>
	<version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
	<parent>
		<groupId>com.foo.test</groupId>
		<artifactId>test</artifactId>
		<version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
   	</parent>

	<dependencies>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>${project.groupId}</groupId>
			<artifactId>child1</artifactId>
			<version>1.0.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
		</dependency>
	</dependencies>
</project>

after I prepare a release the pom.xml.tag for child2 has dependency to
1.0.3 version of child1 as expected but pom.xml.next for child2 contains
dependency to 1.0.3-SNAPSHOT of child1 although the next development
version for child1 is specified as 1.0.4-SNAPSHOT.

Is this the intended behaviour or a bug?

Thanks in advance,

Samuli

Re: Problem with release plugin

Posted by Samuli Saarinen <sa...@remion.com>.
Ok, I found the issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-295

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
That sounds like a bug. It is generally uncommon to use the release
plugin to simultaneously release projects of different versions, but
it should work.

- Brett

2008/10/7 Samuli Saarinen <sa...@remion.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using maven 2.0.9 with a multi-module project and try to make a release
> using maven-release-plugin. My project structure is following:
>
> parent
>  - child1
>  - child2
>
> parent pom.xml:
> <project>
>  <version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
>  <modules>
>        <module>child1</module>
>        <module>child2</module>
>  </modules>
> </project>
>
> child1 pom.xml:
> <project>
>        <version>1.0.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
>        <parent>
>                <groupId>com.foo.test</groupId>
>                <artifactId>test</artifactId>
>                <version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
>        </parent>
> </project>
>
> child2 pom.xml:
> <project>
>        <version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
>        <parent>
>                <groupId>com.foo.test</groupId>
>                <artifactId>test</artifactId>
>                <version>1.0.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
>        </parent>
>
>        <dependencies>
>                <dependency>
>                        <groupId>${project.groupId}</groupId>
>                        <artifactId>child1</artifactId>
>                        <version>1.0.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
>                </dependency>
>        </dependencies>
> </project>
>

> after I prepare a release the pom.xml.tag for child2 has dependency to 1.0.3
> version of child1 as expected but pom.xml.next for child2 contains
> dependency to 1.0.3-SNAPSHOT of child1 although the next development version
> for child1 is specified as 1.0.4-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Is this the intended behaviour or a bug?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Samuli

Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: Problem with release plugin

Posted by "L. J." <ap...@gmail.com>.
during release:prepare, the plugin should prompt you for the next SNAPSHOT
version of your child2, that's where you can change the version number.