Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Girish Ravi <gi...@srmtech.com> on 2012/06/16 08:27:51 UTC

Whats the difference?

Hi All,

I am trying to implement some MapReduce.

At one point I see there are different ways of creating Job:
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job
and
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.jobcontrol.Job

What's the difference between these?
Which should be used and when? Any suggestions?

Regards
Girish
Ph: +91-9916212114

Re: Whats the difference?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Girish,

The 'job control' package is a special purpose one and has been
documented here:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapreduce/lib/jobcontrol/JobControl.html

When wanting to create a simple job, use the
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job object instead, not the jobcontrol
package class with the same name.

--
Harsh J

Re: Whats the difference?

Posted by swathi v <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Girish,

The new release of Hadoop, has org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.* package
structure
and the old API has org.apache.hadoop.mapred.* package structure.
The new API is designed so that it can evolve in future, the design
being abstract classes over interfaces, making use of Context objects.

The difference is that old API  has a special JobConf object for job
configuration, which is an extension of Hadoop’s vanilla Configuration
object. However, in the new API,  job configuration is done directly
through Configuration.

Thank You.

--
- Regards,