Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Rotan Hanrahan <Ro...@MobileAware.com> on 2004/08/05 01:45:11 UTC

Building in NB4

Just reporting that Beehive build (clean deploy) is successful from within Netbeans 4.0

NB4 is still in development, so this is bleeding edge, but given that NB4 has support for Tiger (J1.5.0) it was worth the experiment. NB4 runs under Tiger, and comes with Ant 1.6.2. To get the build to work, I used the Tools|Options to modify the Ant settings as follows:
- Properties:
  os.CATALINA_HOME=.../beehive/trunk/installed/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25
  build.compiler.emacs=true
  os.BEEHIVE_HOME=.../beehive/trunk
- Additional Classpath:
  ..../beehive/trunk/installed/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25/common/lib/servlet-api.jar
  ..../beehive/trunk/installed/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25/common/lib/jsp-api.jar

(Replace "..." by whatever is the root of your path to the project, and remember to write "c:\abc\" as "c\:/abc/" if you're running under Windows.)

The Subversion plug-in for NB3.6 works with NB4. (Remember to install the 1.06 binaries too!) I've tested this under WinXP, and via a personal hardware firewall that handles WebDAV and HTTP interaction with ease. Our company firewall is a little more restrictive, but I've worked around that by Checking Out with an SSL URL (https) instead of the normal URL. The first time I did this I had to issue the command from the console because NB didn't give me a way to respond to the svn's prompt regarding the acceptance of the SSL cert from Apache. No problems thereafter, because I told it to permanently accept the cert.

I haven't checked NB4 under Linux (yet), but I can report that a few exceptions in the Win32 version were coughed up when I opened the AnnotationMemberTypes.java file. This shows that the editor's parsing of Tiger syntax might still need some work.

Why NB4? Well, I have the option of using the latest IntelliJ, but I'd like to see if the freeware was up to the challenge. NB3.x is insufficient. The J1.5 plug-in for Eclipse is incomplete. NB4 is still betaware, but worth looking at given that it's targeting the future Java.

I suppose this experience, and the experience of others shared on this list, could become part of a "Getting, Editing, Building and Deploying Beehive for Dummies".

---Rotan.