Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/09 19:46:21 UTC

The name and version of the maven-bundle-plugin

I am preparing, at least mentally, to do to [1] to the
maven-bundle-plugin -- to make it require Maven 3.x.

So, you might think that I need to change the major version number.
This, of course, would have the effect of de-syncing the versions from
bnd versions. Maybe this doesn't bother anyone.

On the other hand, there's this issue: in theory, names of the form
maven-X-bundle are supposed to be reserved for the actual Apache Maven
Project. I can't really imagine my Maven PMC fellow-members deciding
to hassle another Apache project, but it _could_ be that a better name
would be the felix-bundle-plugin. 'maven' in the artifact-id of a
maven plugin hardly carries a ton of information. And we could set the
version back to 1.0.0.

Personally, I'd be happy to just bump the version to 4.0.0 and give up
on mirroring bnd version numbers, but I felt compelled for some reason
to offer the community the other idea.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Plugin+migration+to+Maven3+dependencies

Re: The name and version of the maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
FYI renaming the plugin was discussed on this list a couple of years ago, overall consensus was to keep the current name:

http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=dev%40felix.apache.org&q=subject%3A%22%5C%5BDISCUSS%5C%5D+rename+maven%5C-bundle%5C-plugin+to+bnd%5C-maven%5C-plugin%22&o=oldest&f=1

(note: this was back before the bndtools team developed their bnd-maven-plugin)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree with David, the "legacy" is "important" IMHO.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: The name and version of the maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,