Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/01 21:13:49 UTC

Hardcoded object names in the admin console

We're discovering more and more hardcoded object names in the admin
console.  This is not really a viable long term practice, but I don't
think we have time to improve the code  significantly before 1.0.

The two choices I have thought of for a quick fix are to put them all
in ObjectNameConstants and resolve them using a more or less reasonable
query against the kernel or to use either servlet init params or jndi
env refs to provide a value from the dd, which can be filled in by
velocity using the current geronimo version during the build.

Any other ideas?  Are servlet params better/worse than jndi for this?
I've tried the ObjectNameConstants for the first few I found but am not
very happy with this solution.

There's at least one parentId string that cannot really be resolved by
an object name query, so I'm going to try using jndi.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Hardcoded object names in the admin console

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I don't think there's really much we can do for 1.0.  As we update the
portlets to use the management API they generally get migrated to
interface-based lookups and such rather than the hardcoded names, but
there are a number of portlets that haven't yet gotten the treatment.

The main thing to consider IMHO is the configuration to use as the
parent for new deployments (JDBC, JMS, security realms, etc.).  I had
previously probably hardcoded o/a/g/Server (which I think we've run
into already), and maybe they should just specify no parentId to work
around this.  If we do want to pick something specific as a parentId,
how can we identify it?  Is a static constant the best way?

Aaron