Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Rob Ward <rw...@paradata.com> on 2001/08/04 00:01:45 UTC

Failed login displays "Default.vm"

I'm trying to create my own Turbine application, and I'm having a problem
that was discussed earlier on this list: That is, if I do an incorrect
login, instead of displaying the template Login.vm, it uses the Default.vm
layout and doesn't display the Login page/screen.

I can't seem to find what the resoltion to this problem was (I searched the
mailing list archives) - could someone kindly enlighten me? I'm still trying
to figure out how it all works, so I imagine it is something simple that I
have overlooked but I'm out of ideas what it could be right now.

I am using the latest TDK2.1 release and Tomcat 3.2.3 as my servlet
container (which seems to be *really* slow to load the initial pages, I
dunno why, but that's a whole other story).

The problem happens both, in the sample application generated as per the
how-to and in an application I'm building myself. In my own application,
currently I only have two screen classes (Index.class, which is a do nothing
class that extends SecureScreen, which I basically copied from the sample).

Thanks in advance,

Rob

RE: Failed login displays "Default.vm"

Posted by Robert Fries <rg...@docmem.com>.
The problem with the layout (as detailed in a previous
message) is really a problem with the screen.

When the LoginUser action fails and sets the screen
template to "Login.vm", the page will use the template
service to try to find a "Login" screen, or a "Default"
screen to load.

Because there is no Login or Default screen class in
the sample app, it finds the Default screen in
org.apache.turbine.flux.modules.screens, which is
based on a class that we don't really want to use
while logged out of the sample app (FluxScreen).

I fixed this by creating the following Default.java
in the equivalent of org.mycompany.newapp.modules.screens:

--
 package org.mycompany.newapp.modules.screens;

 import org.apache.turbine.util.RunData;
 import org.apache.velocity.context.Context;

 public class Default extends SecureScreen
 {
     public void doBuildTemplate( RunData data, Context context )
     {
     }
 }
--

This class is based on the sample app's SecureScreen, which
does what we want with the layout when logged out.

Also, I think you will find that the delay you are noticing
is your servlet container, which does a bunch of work when
it notices that your webapp has changed. It shouldn't happen unless
you change your webapp or restart your container.

Robert Fries