Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/02/11 01:46:33 UTC

[VOTE] Merge HDFS-4685 HDFS ACLs to trunk

Hello everyone,

I would like to call a vote to merge HDFS ACLs from branch HDFS-4685 to
trunk.

HDFS ACLs provide support for finer-grained permissions on files than what
users can express today using traditional Unix permission bits.  An ACL
(Access Control List) consists of a set of ACL entries.  Each ACL entry
names a specific user or group and grants or denies read, write and execute
permissions for that specific user or group.

Development of this feature has been tracked in issue HDFS-4685:

The current design document is available here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12627729/HDFS-ACLs-Design-3.pdf

All development work has been committed to the HDFS-4685 feature branch:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/HDFS-4685/

We're currently working on resolving conflicts with the fsimage protobuf
merge, and we expect to complete that work soon.

The feature is backwards-compatible.  By default, the feature is disabled.
 A cluster administrator must enable support for ACLs in configuration.
 There is no impact to existing clusters that choose to leave ACL support
disabled.

In addition to the existing tests that cover permissions, we've developed
more than 200 new tests covering the new ACL get and set APIs through
DistributedFileSystem and WebHdfsFileSystem, the new CLI commands,
enforcement of ACLs during file access, integration with the existing
permissions model, persistence of ACLs to fsimage and edits, and more.  We
have documented our further system testing plans in a test plan document
attached to issue HDFS-4685.

I want to thank the numerous contributors who have participated in the
branch development up to this point.  Code contributors are Vinayakumar B,
Sachin Jose, Renil Joseph, Haohui Mai, Chris Nauroth and Jing Zhao.  Yesha
Vora contributed the test plan.  The design document incorporates feedback
from many community members: Dilli Arumugam, Brandon Li, Haohui Mai, Kevin
Minder, Chris Nauroth, Sanjay Radia, Suresh Srinivas, Tsz Wo (Nicholas),
SZE and Jing Zhao.  Code reviewers on individual patches include Arpit
Agarwal, Colin Patrick McCabe, Haohui Mai, Chris Nauroth and Jing Zhao.

This vote runs for a week and closes on 2/17/2014 at 11:59 pm PT.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-4685 HDFS ACLs to trunk

Posted by Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

I have implemented and reviewed several parts of the features.

The design and implementation focus on providing high assurance the
security enforcement logic. I think the code is in good shape.

Thanks,
Haohui

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
This vote has passed.

I'm pasting below the vote from Sachin Jose, which may have gotten
disconnected from the main thread.

After counting Sachin's vote and my own +1 vote, the final tally is 6
binding +1s and 3 non-binding +1s.  Thank you to everyone who voted.  We'll
proceed with the merge to trunk.

+1. I got a chance to work on this feature. Thanks Chris for coordinating
this team.
A lot of Hadoop users and Hadoop adminitrators are waiting for this feature.

Thanks,
Sachin Jose
Tata Consultancy Services, Kochi

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
+1

It's very useful, Thanks for improve ACL features.