Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Brian Geffon <bg...@linkedin.com> on 2011/11/22 20:21:50 UTC

Using traffic server on a very large number of ports

Hello,
I've run into a situation in which I must use traffic server to listen on around 1000 different ports, when testing with a large number of ports ATS will segfault after about 350-400 because it appears ATS spawns a new accept thread for every port. Any suggestions on how I can approach this problem?

Thanks.
Brian

Re: Using traffic server on a very large number of ports

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> I've run into a situation in which I must use traffic server to
> listen on around 1000 different ports, when testing with a large
> number of ports ATS will segfault after about 350-400 because it
> appears ATS spawns a new accept thread for every port. Any

That sounds about right..

> suggestions on how I can approach this problem?

For one, I'd report the crash in our Bug tracker
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS
Please also see
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Filing+useful+bug+reports

For the other, I'd disable the accept threads, and just have one
http://trafficserver.staging.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/configuration-files/records.config#proxy.config.accept_threads

n.b.: This will probably be bad for performance, but then, so is having
~400 accept ports to begin with.

> Thanks.
> Brian

So long,