Posted to commits@jackrabbit.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/11/21 22:19:19 UTC

[Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "CommentsAboutPerformance" by edgarpoce

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jackrabbit Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by edgarpoce:
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/CommentsAboutPerformance

The comment on the change is:
all the issues in this page are now in the issue tracker

- == Experience Reports ==
+ deleted

- Apache Jackrabbit works fast and was tested with several millions of items of real-life data and, depending on the persistence manager, little to no performance degradation was noticed. See [http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.devel/3977 email].
-
- == Some issues that might effect performance ==
-
- === Tree Structure ===
-
- Since each parent holds references to its children each time you add a child the parent becomes heavier. It causes a degradation in performance for write operations according to the number of children. I think it's better to use a deep hierarchy rather than a flat structure. I would recommend you to do some testing to establish the limits that suits your needs.
-
- === Node References ===
-
- The problem described above also affects node references, i.e. adding a reference to a highly referenced node will be slower each time. IMHO this problem prevents a very common use case, i.e. tagging.
-
- === Concurrency ===
-
- Currently Jackrabbit lacks fine grained locking for write operations. So, if the repository will be under heavy load I would consider an approach like the one used in Magnolia, I'm not sure if they still use it but the last time I checked they had a repository for authoring and another for publishing.
-