Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Cliff PETERSON <cp...@weber.edu> on 2002/01/22 01:31:39 UTC

Apache on NetWare 6 virtual host problems

Skill with apache - basic dummy
apache 1.3.20a on Novell NetWare 6 server
installed by default when NW6 installed

Because I'm trying to keep the basic machine intact while I learn
Apache
and it is already using port 80 for other uses I tried creating a
virtual host on port 8080 for me to play with while learning.

When I try to access it with Netscape 6 I get the following returned
screen.

Forbidden

Apache/1.3.20a Server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Port 8080

The following entries were put into the adminserv.conf file which seems
be used instead of the httpd.conf file

The directory directives I used were copied form other existing entries
and
changed to match my file structure.

Thanks in advance-- Cliff

Port 8080
Listen xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

<VirtualHost my-virtual-host:8080>
    ServerName my-virtual-host
    DocumentRoot SYS:/CEET

<Directory "/">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    deny from all
</Directory>

<Directory "sys:/CEET">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "sys:/CEET /1120">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Re: Apache on NetWare 6 virtual host problems

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Cliff PETERSON wrote:

> Skill with apache - basic dummy
> apache 1.3.20a on Novell NetWare 6 server
> installed by default when NW6 installed
>
> Because I'm trying to keep the basic machine intact while I learn
> Apache
> and it is already using port 80 for other uses I tried creating a
> virtual host on port 8080 for me to play with while learning.
>
> When I try to access it with Netscape 6 I get the following returned
> screen.
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> Apache/1.3.20a Server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Port 8080
>
> The following entries were put into the adminserv.conf file which seems
> be used instead of the httpd.conf file
>
> The directory directives I used were copied form other existing entries
> and
> changed to match my file structure.
>
> Thanks in advance-- Cliff
>
> Port 8080
> Listen xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
>
> NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> <VirtualHost my-virtual-host:8080>
>     ServerName my-virtual-host
>     DocumentRoot SYS:/CEET
>
> <Directory "/">
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order deny,allow
>     deny from all
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory "sys:/CEET">
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order deny,allow
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory "sys:/CEET /1120">
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order deny,allow
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

I don't know anything about NetWare, but is it case-sensitive? If it is,
your DocumentRoot "SYS:/CEET" doesn't match your Directory container
"sys:/CEET".

However, I suspect it is not case-sensitive. In which case we must look
further:

- Are you certain "adminserv.conf" is being used as the config file?
Check that httpd.conf doesn't exist anywhere, check the process table to
see if apache lists the config file it is using, check the apache
error_log to see if it logs the file it loaded, try making a syntax
error in adminserv.conf and check that an apache restart traps it.

- While you're in the error_log, what does it say when you get the
"Forbidden" error? Probably "access denied by server config" or
something...

- Does the apache user have read privilege in sys:/CEET?

- Try acessing your server using just the IP address to check on
DNS/hostname bugs, i.e. http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.