Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/09/24 16:08:07 UTC

[ApacheCon] Fallback keynote for Budapest

One of our keynotes for ApacheCon Budapest has been withdrawn, and we
need to come up with a replacement, fairly quickly.

I wanted to have a bunch of eyes on the options that have been already
suggested to me. If you have a *great* suggestion, and contact info,
please speak up. If it's just a random suggestion and you don't have a
personal contact, please save it for next year, as we need to move
quickly on this.

EU-based speakers are preferred for reasons of logistics.

So, here's what's been suggested so far:

Dirk-Willem suggests: can prolly dig out a BBC one from the woman who is
the key brain/architect behind iplayer and olympics if needed - or
something from the BBC archive folks.

Sebastien suggests: you might reach out to @swardley who has connection
with UK gov and their adoption of open source open standards. It does
not seem that the intent was to discuss open source in e-governement,
but It would be an interesting subject and slightly less politically
tainted.

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier has a talk schedule about why we need to preach
the gospel of Apache more than we're doing now, and this was initially
submitted as a keynote.

I was sure I had more of them, but I'm not able to find them right now
in the brief break between meetings, so please speak up if you've
suggested something and I've overlooked it.

Of these listed, Joe's is the only one that we know for certain that we
have already in the can. The others would require more legwork, and
probably more cost.

While the decision is, in the end, on me, I very much value your input
to help me make the decision. I'd like to have something tentatively
decided by the end of the week, and messages sent out to the potential
speakers in question.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [ApacheCon] Fallback keynote for Budapest

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 09/29/2014 06:06 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> Do you want me to contact the UK Government? Happy to do so.

Jim is making inquiries right now. I should know soon how that panned
out, and then we'll move to the next item on the list.

--Rich

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>... * Dirk-Willem suggestions the woman who is the key brain/architect behind
> iplayer and olympics...

>From the peanut gallery, every time I read a blog post or article on
what these guys do it feels like their tech is fantastic.

-Bertrand

Re: [ApacheCon] Fallback keynote for Budapest

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Here's a crazy suggestion: would there be any interest in having
a legal-centric keynote on the experience of a mid-size open
source-based company with ASF, Apache Lincese, etc?

I have a really wonderful legal councilor partner who is
also an amazing speaker.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 24 September 2014 16:08, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> One of our keynotes for ApacheCon Budapest has been withdrawn, and we need
> to come up with a replacement, fairly quickly.
>
> I wanted to have a bunch of eyes on the options that have been already
> suggested to me. If you have a *great* suggestion, and contact info, please
> speak up. If it's just a random suggestion and you don't have a personal
> contact, please save it for next year, as we need to move quickly on this.
>
> EU-based speakers are preferred for reasons of logistics.
>
> So, here's what's been suggested so far:
>
> Dirk-Willem suggests: can prolly dig out a BBC one from the woman who is
> the key brain/architect behind iplayer and olympics if needed - or
> something from the BBC archive folks.

Watch out, UK is in many aspect not europe...and if the angle is to much
"uk" then it will not be well received in my opinion.

> Sebastien suggests: you might reach out to @swardley who has connection
> with UK gov and their adoption of open source open standards. It does not
> seem that the intent was to discuss open source in e-governement, but It
> would be an interesting subject and slightly less politically tainted.
>
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier has a talk schedule about why we need to preach
> the gospel of Apache more than we're doing now, and this was initially
> submitted as a keynote

+1

> .
>
> I was sure I had more of them, but I'm not able to find them right now in
> the brief break between meetings, so please speak up if you've suggested
> something and I've overlooked it.
>
> Of these listed, Joe's is the only one that we know for certain that we
> have already in the can. The others would require more legwork, and
> probably more cost.
>
> While the decision is, in the end, on me, I very much value your input to
> help me make the decision. I'd like to have something tentatively decided
> by the end of the week, and messages sent out to the potential speakers in
> question.

How about pursuading one of the "old" guys, to give a talk about Apache
growth in europe. We seem to be very disproportional represented within
europe, I am sure a couple of charts and history could make a super keynote.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
As I mentioned to you in private I can reach out to UK government CTO if you want an eGovernment replacement (would likely result in the same outcome as going to Wardley)

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On 09/24/2014 09:08 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> One of our keynotes for ApacheCon Budapest has been withdrawn, and we
> need to come up with a replacement, fairly quickly.
>
> I wanted to have a bunch of eyes on the options that have been already
> suggested to me. If you have a *great* suggestion, and contact info,
> please speak up. If it's just a random suggestion and you don't have a
> personal contact, please save it for next year, as we need to move
> quickly on this.

In talking w/David Nalley, he mentioned Patrick Debois of DevOps fame.

I can get in touch with him and he'd probably be an interesting speaker
w/a reasonable amount of drawing power.

Best,

jzb

--