Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Blinkhorn <st...@prd.co.uk> on 2012/01/01 18:50:48 UTC

Re: installation problem

Thank you for your various responses.

spamassassin --lint -D output is at  http://pastebin.com/Hjmt8CbE

There is only one sa-update on the system.

I installed from CPAN

--
Steve Blinkhorn <st...@prd.co.uk>

> [...]
> > you should immediately delete this email from your system(s) and
> > inform us.   It may contain information that is confidential or
> > otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to
> > recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.
> >
> > Psychometric Research & Development Ltd.
> > PO Box 1143, St Albans, Herts, AL1 9UT, UK
> > Registered in England No. 1909571
> > Registered Office: 47 Holywell Hill, St Albans, Herts, AL1 1HD
> > Phone: +44 (0)1727 841455
> > www.prd.co.uk

> Martin Hepworth
> Oxford, UK
>
> --f46d04428890f2fb1a04b568e766
>
> Check you&#39;ve only got one saupdate etc installed and you are calling th=
> e saupdate associated with the spamassassin you are running. Ie check there=
> &#39;s not one installed from ports or as the base install if you hand inst=
> alled a version and vice versa<br>
> &gt; I just tried to install spamassassin: everything proceeded normally,<b=
> r>
> &gt; AFAIK, but the basic &quot;spamassassin -t&#39; on the provided sample=
>  fails<br>&gt; because no rules are found (line 400, which looks to my untu=
> tored eye<br>&gt; like an all-purpose error-spitter). sa-update appears to =
> run, and<br>
> &gt; exits silently. =A0 There is a rules directory under the the directory=
> &gt; I tweaked the script so as not to require rules, and it ran and<br>&gt=
> ; produced output.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; NetBSD 4.01, working as root. =A0 What i=
> teve@prd.co.uk">steve@prd.co.uk</a>&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>&gt; **************************************************************=
> **************<br>&gt; This email is for the addressee only. =A0 If you are=
>  not the addressee<br>&gt; you should immediately delete this email from yo=
> ur system(s) and<br>
> &gt; inform us. =A0 It may contain information that is confidential or<br>&=
> gt; otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to<br>&=
> gt; recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.<b=
> r>
> &gt;<br>&gt; Psychometric Research &amp; Development Ltd.<br>&gt; PO Box 11=
> 43, St Albans, Herts, AL1 9UT, UK<br>&gt; Registered in England No. 1909571=
> &gt; Phone: +44 (0)1727 841455<br>&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.prd.co.uk">www=
> .prd.co.uk</a><br>&gt; ****************************************************=
> Oxford, UK<br>
>
> --f46d04428890f2fb1a04b568e766--

--
Steve Blinkhorn <st...@prd.co.uk>

This email is for the addressee only.   If you are not the addressee
you should immediately delete this email from your system(s) and
inform us.   It may contain information that is confidential or
otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to
recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.

S F Blinkhorn MA PhD CPsychol FBPsS Chairman,

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 01/01, wolfgang wrote:
> > /usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/50_scores.cf

> I would rather suspect that file to be located in
> Jan  1 19:55:45.157 [6360] dbg: channel: update directory
> /usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.003002/updates_spamassassin_org

You're right, thanks.  I hadn't figured out till now where exactly that
version number comes from.  3.003002 = v3.3.2.
                            ^   ^  ^

So Steve, you should have a file
/usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.003002/updates_spamassassin_org/50_scores.cf

--
"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
- Mario Andretti

Re: installation problem

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
On 2012-01-01 21:53, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 01/01, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> > I'm afraid you'll have to tell me... http://pastebin.com/xaWNQ0GS
>
> Your LOCAL_STATE_DIR matches in the output of both -
> /usr/pkg/var/spamassassin.  You should have rules there.  This file
> should exist:
>
> /usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/50_scores
>.cf
>
> Does it?
>
> If it doesn't exist, sa-update isn't writing file successfully.  If
> it does exist, spamassassin isn't reading them.  Could be weird file
> permissions I guess.

I would rather suspect that file to be located in
Jan  1 19:55:45.157 [6360] dbg: channel: update directory
/usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.003002/updates_spamassassin_org
(judged from the pastebin output lines:
Jan  1 19:55:44.675 [6360] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.3.2
Jan  1 19:55:45.157 [6360] dbg: channel: update
directory /usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.003002/updates_spamassassin_org)

Hope this helps,

wolfgang

Re: installation problem

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 01/01, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> files like init.pre, sa-update-keys, v312.pre, v330.pre
> local.cf, v310.pre, v320.pre?   I don't know exactly what I'm looking
> for - is there a standard extgension for rule files?

No, those are installed with spamassassin.  The files you're looking end in
.cf.  A good example is the file "50_scores.cf".

> I'm afraid you'll have to tell me... http://pastebin.com/xaWNQ0GS

Your LOCAL_STATE_DIR matches in the output of both -
/usr/pkg/var/spamassassin.  You should have rules there.  This file should
exist:

/usr/pkg/var/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/50_scores.cf

Does it?

If it doesn't exist, sa-update isn't writing file successfully.  If it does
exist, spamassassin isn't reading them.  Could be weird file permissions I
guess.

--
"But do you have any idea how many SuperBalls you could buy if you
actually applied yourself in the world? Probably eleven, but you should

Re: installation problem

Posted by Steve Blinkhorn <st...@prd.co.uk>.

Re: installation problem

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:

> Thank you for your various responses.
>
> spamassassin --lint -D output is at  http://pastebin.com/Hjmt8CbE
>
> There is only one sa-update on the system.
>
> I installed from CPAN
>
>> On Saturday, 31 December 2011, Steve Blinkhorn <st...@prd.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just tried to install spamassassin: everything proceeded normally,
>>> AFAIK, but the basic "spamassassin -t' on the provided sample fails
>>> because no rules are found (line 400, which looks to my untutored eye
>>> like an all-purpose error-spitter). sa-update appears to run, and
>>> exits silently.   There is a rules directory under the the directory
>>> where I ran the installation, and also under usr/pkg/share, and they
>>> are both populated with files which look relevant.
>>>
>>> I tweaked the script so as not to require rules, and it ran and
>>> produced output.
>>>
>>> NetBSD 4.01, working as root.   What is amiss?

Looking at that "--lint -D" output I see:

  Jan  1 17:06:23.374 [20281] dbg: generic: Perl 5.010000, PREFIX=/usr/pkg,
  DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/pkg/share/spamassassin,
  LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/usr/pkg/etc/mail/spamassassin,
  LOCAL_STATE_DIR=/usr/pkg/var/spamassassin

So if you go look in '/usr/pkg/share/spamassassin' &
'/usr/pkg/etc/mail/spamassassin' do you see any rules or SA config
stuff?

sa-update -should- put rules in a place where your SA can find them.
Usually that's something like "/var/lib/spamassassin/..." or
"/usr/share/spamassassin/..." Go look in those places to see if
you can find rules.

if you run sa-update with the "--debug" option, where does it say
that it's putting the new rules?

My bet is that your spamassassin was build with that "PREFIX=/usr/pkg"
and so expects -everthing- to be under /usr/pkg someplace but your
sa-update is putting the rules that it fetches in the more standard place
and so your spamassassin never finds them.

You need to make sure that spamassassin & sa-update agree upon the dirs to
use for rules. You can either install matching kits or use command line
switches to tell everybody where things are stored.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: installation problem

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
I have little faith in installing spamassassin from cpan.  I'd recommend
uninstalling it if you can, and installing from whatever packaging system
your OS uses, which I believe is ports.

But if there is a related bug in installation from cpan, it would be nice
to track it down and fix it.

>From your debug output:

Jan  1 17:06:23.374 [20281] dbg: generic: Perl 5.010000,
PREFIX=/usr/pkg, DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/pkg/share/spamassassin,
LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/usr/pkg/etc/mail/spamassassin,
LOCAL_STATE_DIR=/usr/pkg/var/spamassassin

What exactly is the directory sa-update is downloading to?  Is it one of
those?  Does it actually contain rules?

$ sa-update -D 2>&1 | grep LOCAL_STATE
Jan  1 14:08:54.614 [9446] dbg: generic: Perl 5.010001, PREFIX=/usr, DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/share/spamassassin, LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/etc/spamassassin, LOCAL_STATE_DIR=/var/lib/spamassassin

$ spamassassin -D </dev/null 2>&1 | grep LOCAL_STATE
Jan  1 14:09:38.542 [9459] dbg: generic: Perl 5.010001, PREFIX=/usr, DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/share/spamassassin, LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/etc/spamassassin, LOCAL_STATE_DIR=/var/lib/spamassassin

So on my machine, sa-update is downloading to, and spamassassin is loading
rules from, the LOCAL_STATE_DIR, and the rule definitions are all in
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/ .

http://www.ChaosReigns.com