Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2012/12/01 00:20:10 UTC

Re-spinning 3.1.0

I'm done with the issues that cropped up so I'm ready to re-spin 3.1.0.

Anyone want to add anything or discuss anything before I spin this? I'm not in any rush so if folks want to talk about logging we can. But given the fact once SLF4J initializes it can't change the implementation plugins integrating with Maven need to use the implementation we choose. This is how everything else in the world that integrates SLF4J has to operate so I don't really see us being any different.

I'll wait until tomorrow to re-spin.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
I'm going to start the preparation for rolling the release.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
I can run a query. I would be fine using Log4J1. Well used in the field and I doubt there would be any surprises. No one suggested using it, but I think that's a more sensible choice than a project no one uses. I don't see much value in being on the bleeding edge of a logging project.

On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:20 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:

>> Downloads from central in the last 12 months:
>>
>> Logback: 1,136,846
>> Log4J2: 6,748
>
> Do you have the number for all log4j artifacts? log4j2 just got released but is a native successor of log4j1.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> ________________________________

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -- Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2012, at 1:42 AM, Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok. Yes that's sure it has to be discussed. That's why I reopened the
> subject.
> > About the implementation :
> > * as a user I have really no preference, I just want the feature
> > * as a developer I played with both and for me these are just loggers
> > . We may organize a fight between Ceki and Ralph but it won't help I
> > think. I agree that log4j2 is in beta which is annoying (? Or not. We
> > are talking about a logging lib that is doing some println - but with
> > colors )
>
> It's not a fight Arnaud, I want the discussion to be about objective
> evaluation.

I agree. But in fact there is from my point of view no real evaluation to
do now. log4j2 is young and logback the reference implementation commonly
used.

> > * as PMC and ASF member I suppose I should say that our projects are
> > the best and we should privilege our own stuffs for the safety of our
> > ecosystem.
> >

> That, Arnaud, is nepotism. If the single strongest selection criterion
> here is nepotism then I believe there is no hope for any ecosystem. If
> nepotism above maturity, precedent, and use in the field become subordinate
> to nepotism and our view of good is bounded by only what's done at Apache
> then I believe we are truly in decline. I believe the ecosystem goes far
> beyond just what exists at Apache.
>
> Being at Apache is no guarantee for success, or health -- even with its
> powerful marketing and, at times, irrational protectionism. How is SVN
> doing compared to Git? How is Apache HTTPD doing compared to NGinx? How is
>  Mina doing compared to Netty? MyBatis is thriving outside the walls of
> Apache since it left, and Logback is selected everywhere even projects at
> Apache. There are good things at Apache, there are good things outside
> Apache. I see it as an irrational train of through to have to select
> everything from Apache. To me it smacks of a form of nationalism which I
> believe is unhealthy.
>
> Honestly how did Log4J2 not have to go through the incubator? There are
> barely more than two people who have contributed, by Incubator standards
> for diversity -- if you are placing high value on the Apache way -- it
> doesn't really cut muster. I don't think it would be allowed out of the
> incubator[1] would it? Compared to something like CXF which spent how long
> in the incubator? This looks to be a completely new project.
>
> That development on Log4J stops and that the choice is not to help work on
> Logback -- which is clearly the de facto standard --  but start something
> else to me seems unwise. To use the project that Ceki started and then stop
> working on that to create something to compete with a successful project
> that Ceki created outside of Apache just seems like some really nasty
> business. I see it as an attempt to legitimize a project that has no
> traction with a project that does.
>
> If you were going to select something at work for a critical project you
> were working on would you really pick Log4J2 over Logback? I honestly don't
> think anyone would. I don't believe the mechanics of selecting and building
> software in the outside world should be anything different here. At the
> point of selection you pick best of breed to mitigate risk and integration
> problems.

LOL it was mainly a sarcasm this 3rd point. I should have add a smiley.
For me if we had to choose "now" log4J2 as the implementation it could be
done with this reason. I have nothing against log4J and I'm sure it will
have a great future and may be a good challenger for logback.
I may understand this reason to select it and I have nothing against it,
nor I'm afraid about it because I'm sure that like for logback we'll have
the support of the dev team.

> At any rate we can compare the implementations and discuss. As the RM I
> don't want to integrate a logging framework in 3.1.0.

+1 Fine for me.

--
-----
Arnaud Héritier

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Great emails here. My mention of log4j2 is to get a hard core customer
- maven - in order to make log4j2 better. Whether that is in the best
interest of Maven users and developers is a different question which
you guys know best. I'm fine with Maven jumping on the logback
bandwagon. If there are technical issues with maven using log4j2, we'd
love to hear about them.

Gary

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2012, at 1:42 AM, Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok. Yes that's sure it has to be discussed. That's why I reopened the subject.
>> About the implementation :
>> * as a user I have really no preference, I just want the feature
>> * as a developer I played with both and for me these are just loggers
>> . We may organize a fight between Ceki and Ralph but it won't help I
>> think. I agree that log4j2 is in beta which is annoying (? Or not. We
>> are talking about a logging lib that is doing some println - but with
>> colors )
>
> It's not a fight Arnaud, I want the discussion to be about objective evaluation.
>
>> * as PMC and ASF member I suppose I should say that our projects are
>> the best and we should privilege our own stuffs for the safety of our
>> ecosystem.
>>

> That, Arnaud, is nepotism. If the single strongest selection criterion here is nepotism then I believe there is no hope for any ecosystem. If nepotism above maturity, precedent, and use in the field become subordinate to nepotism and our view of good is bounded by only what's done at Apache then I believe we are truly in decline. I believe the ecosystem goes far beyond just what exists at Apache.

I wouldn't say, 'nepotism,' but I agree with the bottom line of
Jason's argument. The ASF is like Harvard College: "Every tub on its

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 1 Dec 2012, at 10:07, Mark Struberg wrote:

> There is btw out of the box @InjectLogger support for Log4j2 in guice. A few projects are using this already without problems it seems.

Depends what you mean by 'out-of-the-box', Guice only provides built-in support for @Inject of j.u.l.Logger (http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/wiki/BuiltInBindings). With Sisu we add support for @Inject org.slf4j.Logger, and for something like @InjectLogger you'll need a logging extension like http://onami.incubator.apache.org/logging/ that involves registering a custom injector (http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/wiki/CustomInjections).

HTH

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
If a script or plugin was provided to make changing the implementation easy I think that would be better. That can be made as simple. I think shipping optional components is generally a bad practice. It would be like shipping all the wagon/aether implementations to let people pick. Not really scalable and I don't think users really care that much and with event spies users are responsible for adding the components.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Olivier can clarify but appears to me to ship all implementations with configurations to let the user flip.

I don't think anyone can honestly justify shipping Log4J2 by default, I think Logback is appropriate so he's trying to accommodate everyone's PoV. But I still think we have to pick an implementation.

On Dec 1, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I just try to make more than one happy so what is your reason ?
>>>

>> That shipping multiple implementations means we have to support them for no particular reason. I think that setup is fairly convoluted for users, and still we have really determined it's really of any use to the average user. Downloading some things and placing them in the ext/ directory for the odd time someone is going to need it I think works perfectly fine.
>>
>> We should pick one implementation by default like we do with anything else. Logging is not special.
>
> Wait, didn't I read Olivier to write that he does *not* propose to
> ship more than one, merely to offer a quickie shortcut to turning on
> another if someone drops it into place? Or am I confused?
>

>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
>> business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
>> be omnipotent for a while.
>>
>>  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
I'm going to hack on the Aether branch for the rest of the day, I'll check in tomorrow morning to see what others think about the release.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

 -- Alan Perlis

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2012/12/1 Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>:
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2012, at 12:39 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Why do we have to force our users to a specific logging implementation
>>> than we choose ?
>>
>> My counter argument is why don't we? That is the pattern of most forms of integration because trying to account for many implementations interacting together have unknown side affects. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's useful.
>>
>>> We can propose variants and at least one as a workaround to maybe fix
>>> sonar issue.
>>>
>>> So what I do in the branch called dynamic-logging-impl is a "dynamic"
>>> way of loading the implementation users prefers (default is log4j2).
>>> It's just a matter of modifying MAVEN_OPTS="-Dmaven.logger.impl=log4j2
>>> or slf4-simple or logback" (and thanks to our home made "osgi"
>>> classworld :-) )
>>
>> The point again is just because you can do doesn't mean it's useful. How many times does someone really need a different implementation? Just because someone wants something doesn't mean you should give it to them. I believe just allowing anything isn't actually helpful to anyone.
>>

>>> Note: with this implementation is possible to use any other slf4j impl
>>> you want (IMHO good enhancement for ci servers which want to route
>>> logs somewhere)
>>> It's just a matter of adding a realm in m2.conf
>>>
>>> [thegreat-new-a-la-mode-slf4j-impl]
>>> load       path to my great new slf4j impl/*.jar
>>>
>>> Then
>>> MAVEN_OPTS="-Dmaven.logger.impl=thegreat-new-a-la-mode-slf4j-impl"
>>>

>> I don't think that's particularly easy and additionally opens us up to having to specifically support any SLF4J implementation which I don't think is wise.
>>
> if documented that's not really complicated.
>
> this could be nice for ci servers to get logs easily.
> We already have eventspy to intercept build informations so why not
> having something else for logs.
>

>> I think we need to pick one and go with it. If users want something different they can change the structure of the distribution.
>>
>>> Anyway just tested with sonar and
>>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>>> org.codehaus.mojo:sonar-maven-plugin:2.0:sonar (default-cli) on
>>> project hello-world: Can not execute Sonar:
>>> ch.qos.logback.classic.LoggerContext cannot be cast to
>>> ch.qos.logback.classic.LoggerContext
>>> I always love such classloader message :-)
>>>
>>> So I need to investigate a little bit more but not so far from having
>>> that for sonar
>>> BTW works fine for classic use case.
>>>
>>> If you want to test that a build is available here:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~olamy/maven/dynamic-logging-impl/

I think that 'Maven, the command-line tool' should have one(*) logging back end.

I think that 'Maven, the embeddable build system' should have, as an
advantage, the ability to log to any slf4j backend that the embedding
application cares to use.

In between is a gray area, where a 'power user' might read
documentation that explains how to reconfigure the usual command-line
directory tree to use a different back end, via Olivier's mechanism.
Doing so would come with a disclaimer. But I don't see how it has to
be a gigantic disclaimer. If it works for embedding to pick any slf4j
back end, then it's hard for me to see gigantic risks to a user in
reconfiguring the command-line package.

I am fine with rolling 3.1.0(-?) as-is, and then pull in Olivier's
work and reviewing it, or pulling it in first, FWIW.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Dec 1, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:

>> How many times does someone really need a different implementation?
>
> Sorry Jason, thats bollocks and you know it.

You looked at the the question and presumed an answer. You're assuming my is never. The answer is not very often, which begs the question of balance between creating a convoluted mechanism for accommodating the infrequency of that requirement versus having something simpler, less magic, smaller and working for most cases.

>> That is the pattern of most forms of
>> integration because trying to account for many implementations interacting
>> together have unknown side affects.
>

> You are wrong and right at the same time:
> Yes it's broken and has unknown side effects.

It's not broken, it has side effects as all things do.

> Thanks for finally acknowledging this. So why the hell do we force a single established framework to any user at all?

As that's generally what most do in order to avoid having to support all combinations of things which is untenable.

> That's the reason why any sane container I know doesn't do that.

I see most containers picking defaults.

> Again: the easy solution would be a slf4j-MojoLogging bridge and all is fine.
>
> Plugins which like to use slf4j can simply use this bridge and all is fine. Other plugins will not be hurt.

Then implement it Mark and demonstrate, you keep talking about this but the whole while haven't demonstrated any of your theory.

Olivier and I may be disagreeing but we're both doing work and making implementations.

As I said before I am not in a terrible rush so implement what you think works best and show us.

> LieGrue,
> strub

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
> How many times does someone really need a different implementation?

Sorry Jason, thats bollocks and you know it.

> That is the pattern of most forms of
> integration because trying to account for many implementations interacting
> together have unknown side affects.

You are wrong and right at the same time:
Yes it's broken and has unknown side effects. Thanks for finally acknowledging this. So why the hell do we force a single established framework to any user at all? That's the reason why any sane container I know doesn't do that.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why do we have to force our users to a specific logging implementation
> than we choose ?

Doesn't the product have to establish a default?  Isn't that the one
"forced" on the users?

Substitution of the default for alternate implementation is a feature.

I think first establish a solid default and then consider a feature that
enables changing by the user.

The default has not been decided yet, as far as I can discern.  Call for a
vote on the default logger implementation.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I'm doing more comparison for myself, that can be useful for others

for the config format:
http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html
vs
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html

I don't see much difference

Notice there is no dtd nor schema for both
I like having some help while hacking configuration files, like auto-completion.
Is there something available in log4j2 or logback for this?
Or will I have to learn the XML structure of each by trial-error?

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I agree. That doesn't change that log4j2 is young compared to logback
and I could understand that people could prefer to select it over
log4j for that reason. Myself I have really no preference

The best I suppose will be to open a thread to discuss about pros and
cons of each ones and then vote. (For me all of this is probably to
much to just select which lines if codes will do our println with
colors but I think it will be better for the community to be sure to
ear and respect the choice of developers...)

---------
Arnaud

Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.