Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Rimov <ri...@centercomp.com> on 2001/09/10 20:16:51 UTC

New requirement of -Dcatalina.base? [TC4-RC1]

Hello All,

[Super minor quibble]

While migrating to the new catalina, I see that when starting it up from
with my debugger (jbuilder4) that things won't run unless I set
catalina.base.  Since the batch files properly set catalina.base =
cataline.home if catalina.base is included, is there any reason why this
can't happen in the code too?

I'm thinking that it will save a batch of posts to the tomcat-users list of
people having the latest tomcat break on them when they're using their
debuggers.

Any thoughts?  Again, this is a minor usability quibble, as I like Tomcat 4
very much!
						-Mike

Re: New requirement of -Dcatalina.base? [TC4-RC1]

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hello All,
>
> [Super minor quibble]
>
> While migrating to the new catalina, I see that when starting it up from
> with my debugger (jbuilder4) that things won't run unless I set
> catalina.base.  Since the batch files properly set catalina.base =
> cataline.home if catalina.base is included, is there any reason why this
> can't happen in the code too?
>
> I'm thinking that it will save a batch of posts to the tomcat-users list
of
> people having the latest tomcat break on them when they're using their
> debuggers.
>
> Any thoughts?  Again, this is a minor usability quibble, as I like Tomcat
4
> very much!

There is a third env variable which can be set: 'user.dir'. It is used in
the code to set the value of catalina.home and catalina.base if either is
not set.

Remy

Re: New requirement of -Dcatalina.base? [TC4-RC1]

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Good idea.  This was done inconsistently, so I've updated the code for the
various standard ways to start Tomcat 4 -- now, it will always set
"catalina.base" from "catalina.home" unless you explicitly set it to
something else.

Michael, I should have given you credit for this in the commit message ...
sorry.

Craig